Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Absolute Pain in the Backside....

Default Absolute Pain in the Backside....

I didn't add this to my review of last nights wedding in the "Good Gig / Bad Gig" thread but last night I endured one of the biggest pains in the backside I have ever met!

An Australian guy at the wedding who was the brother of the Bride and as soon as he met me he said "Hi Mate, I'm an Ex DJ of 23 years". That was fine but every now and then he would come over to me making suggestions on what I should play next. What made it worse was the fact that because I was working off the Bride's (his sister) request list...at the time it wasn't working so he was making more and more suggestions.

He stood talking to me at one point and put his pint on top of my speaker. I said jokingly "Come on mate, you know the score...can you keep it off please" and he looked at me as if I was stupid. Another occasion and he was almost leaning over me asking what I was going to play next. How the night was going etc etc...He then said "Play YMCA mate...that'll get them up for sure, take my word for it"...I laughed and said "Sorry but the Bride has asked me specifically not to play YMCA" (which was the main song she hated)..He said "Oh, don't worry about her, just play it". I didn't play it, I wasn't going to play it and I wasn't having him telling me to play it.

He actually started off quite a nice guy but after a couple of hours I dreaded it every time he came near me. The final time he came over was 10 minutes from the end. I had cue'd up what were going to be the last songs (Bride and Grooms choices). He was stood infront of the speakers talking to a girl. I could hear every word and he said "Don't worry love, I'll get him to play it...I'm an ex DJ and the Brides brother"...He then came over smiling and said "Chuck on some ACDC mate, this lovely lady wants to hear it".. I apologised and said I couldn't as I only had 2 songs left.

AArrrgghhhh!

I feel your pain mate!

I had one last night, complete Wally dressed in Man at Primark, comes over and asks for Drum'n'Bass, explained that its a Wedding, and not in keeping etc, he says "ok mate, only joking" then comes back half a dozen times and says the same thing again! After a while I explained to him that if something isn't funny the first time, its very unlikely to magically become funny after umpteen repititions! Still, he comes back and says the same again, this time accompanied by his "mate", another Primark victim, who also appeared to be a mute, and just stared vacantly at me! Left me with no alternative other than to tell him to go away, but not quite that politely.

As I'm clearing away, word comes that "someone"(guess who!) has passed out in the garden, and then to add to my delight, I hear that the "mute" has picked him up on his shoulder, and then dropped him on his face on the patio!!Resulting in blood everywhere and the attendance of an Ambulance. Which all goes to show that there IS actually a God! Thank you Lord!
    Last edited by soundtracker; 03-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

you definitely have the patience of a saint,nothing worse than somebody like that behaving in that way.

if it is any consolation most of us have to deal with this sort of thing at one time or another,he may be the brides brother and an ex dj to boot but he is not doing the job,think you handled the situation well.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

We've all had numpties like this. My take is the usual nod in agreement and then just keep on doing what I was doing in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    I feel your pain mate!

I had one last night, complete Wally dressed in Man at Primark, comes over and asks for Drum'n'Bass, explained that its a Wedding, and not in keeping etc, he says "ok mate, only joking" then comes back half a dozen times and says the same thing again! After a while I explained to him that if something isn't funny the first time, its very unlikely to magically become funny after umpteen repititions! Still, he comes back and says the same again, this time accompanied by his "mate", another Primark victim, who also appeared to be a mute, and just stared vacantly at me! Left me with no alternative other than to tell him to go away, but not quite that politely.

As I'm clearing away, word comes that "someone"(guess who!) has passed out in the garden, and then to add to my delight, I hear that the "mute" has picked him up on his shoulder, and then dropped him on his face on the patio!!Resulting in blood everywhere and the attendance of an Ambulance. Which all goes to show that there IS actually a God! Thank you Lord!
    God is good, mate, God is good!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

The comments like "Ah mate, we used to do it a bit different to this in Oz" and "23 years in the business my friend. Sold all my gear and bought a caravan" did actually grate a little bit but it was this line when I turned up that got me....

"Mate, I was going to try and put some tunes on during the wedding breakfast but I didn't know how to work your equipment".

I won't say what I said to him. I had asked the Bride & Groom if they wanted background music and they said no. When I got there, there was music playing in the bar area. Luckily for Crocodile Dundee...he didn't touch my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    We've all had numpties like this. My take is the usual nod in agreement and then just keep on doing what I was doing in the first place.

God is good, mate, God is good!
    Well you know God IS a dj!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Well you know God IS a dj!
    Well thank you for recognising me! But I like to keep it all a bit quiet!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Did a wedding a few weeks back and the Bride`s father was a retired dj who used to ply his trade some 30 years ago. He came up during the night and asked if he could re-live his past and have a go at playing a few records.

As he was unfamiliar with the equipment that we use we agreed that he would choose the records,we would play them and he would introduce them, after all,we thought, it wouldn`t do any harm for him to join us up on stage for a few songs.

After half an hour he was still going strong introducing each record with things such as "You`re gonna love this next record" or "This record is one of my favourite records of all time or "Here is a classic from Kool and the Gang", it was mainly 70`s/80`s disco music he chose to play.
    Each record he played he would do a huh oh or oh yeah after each vocal section, a bit like Peter Kay singing Feels Like I`m In Love by Kelly Marie.

He told us that that was the best way to get the crowd going, although I personally prefer the beat of the music to get them going rather than me adding my own words to the song.

Eventually he could see that we were getting a bit tired of playing second string to him and he decided to finally hang up the microphone for the final time in his career and let us carry on.
    We didn`t mind him joining us on stage it was just the length of time he spent on stage and his advising us on what we should be doing that peed us off.
    Contrary to popular belief I do not come from down your way.
    http://www.ajaysdisco.co.uk/