Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12 inches to 15 inches - Benefit?

I have once again tried my RCF 725A actives in my garage. I will gig them 1st time tomorrow night.
    RCF 725A are 750w active switch mode amps, plenty of mid and top with a reasonable bass for an ABS cab. They have 500w to the 15" and 250w to the 2" horn. 19.5kgs
    I have in the past used a Yorkville amp 20kgs which is 750w @ 8ohm per ch and with a decent toroidial transformer. his was driving a pair of Tannoy V15 15" 400w dual concentric birch ply cabinets 32kgs. Excellent mid and top with a great bass as well.
    Comparison is that although the RCF 725A's are ABS and very light they cannot compare with the quality of the separate amp and Tannoy V15's birch ply cabs.
    I have only bought the RCF actives because they are lighter, not for quality.

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabradisco View Post
    I have once again tried my RCF 725A actives in my garage. I will gig them 1st time tomorrow night.
    RCF 725A are 750w active switch mode amps, plenty of mid and top with a reasonable bass for an ABS cab. They have 500w to the 15" and 250w to the 2" horn. 19.5kgs
    I have in the past used a Yorkville amp 20kgs which is 750w @ 8ohm per ch and with a decent toroidial transformer. his was driving a pair of Tannoy V15 15" 400w dual concentric birch ply cabinets 32kgs. Excellent mid and top with a great bass as well.
    Comparison is that although the RCF 725A's are ABS and very light they cannot compare with the quality of the separate amp and Tannoy V15's birch ply cabs.
    I have only bought the RCF actives because they are lighter, not for quality.
    You bought a pair of cabs that cost over £2000 because they are light and not for the quality?

If you weren't worried about the quality, you could have spent a lot less money than that to get a lighter pair of speakers.

Additional to earlier

The frequency response of any speaker is determined mainly by 3 aspects or components of the speaker and its cabinets construction. The effect of the cabinet material and the way the air generated by the moving speaker is affected by the internal air ways and shaped is beyond the scope of this discussion, however as discussed earlier, this "sound shaping" can be very cost effectively achieved using Plastic Cabinets. The other 2 aspects which we can consider are the cone material and the size of the voice coil. Ideally we want a lighweight cone material which flexes consistently in all directions with no distortion and offers a minimal resistance to movement especially when you change the direction of movement. This will allow a purer sound reproduction with no distortion or added or filter sound due to movement restrictions in the cone material. So the better the cone material, the lower the frequency response, and hence more bass effect from the speaker. Paper or paper composite cones are often the cheapest form of cone material but are hardly durable and flexibility at the lowest frequencies and the highest powers are restricted. A more desirable is a synthetic material which negates these restrictions and can be manufactured to add a more linear response across the whole flexing range.
    The main aspect for getting low frequencies from a speaker is the size of the speaker coil and its respective magnet. The larger the speaker size generally has the larger coils and magnets. To achieve lower bass frequencies it requires the speaker cone and therefore the coils to move a greater distance both in and out.
    www.doitalldisco.co.uk
    Party Time Mobile Disco
    Wales Premier Mobile Service

Quote Originally Posted by dj keevers View Post
    With any type of speaker, the 3 main weight components are the cabinet material, the speaker frame material, and the magnet material.
    and Amp/components weight if it's digital or not with actives.

Good summary though - nice for people shopping around
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

i know 3 DJs with active mackies. person 1 had his HF driver blow 3 times although the warranty covered the repair, person 2's amp went in one side and person 3 has got plastic white fans strapped to the stands pointing at the heatsinks to stop them overheating and tripping!
    i've not used active gear myself though
    Have you got any DANCE music?

www.cosmicdiscos.com

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    and Amp/components weight if it's digital or not with actives.

Good summary though - nice for people shopping around
    thanks, however, i suppose i should have stated that the previous posts were for passives speakers in general. Ill try and do an active forum post next
    www.doitalldisco.co.uk
    Party Time Mobile Disco
    Wales Premier Mobile Service

Quote Originally Posted by DAVESOUNDS SERVICES View Post
    Yeah
    DB Mackie RCF, Wharfedale plus a few i cant remember
    (theyre all total and utter CraP)
    Im sick of getting them to repair with shorted drivers
    which in turn destroy the inbuilt amplifiers
    Putting an amplifier into a speaker cabinet was never a great idea
    even in the days of valves...now we are onto double sided irrepairable
    printed circuits sprayed with surface mounted components is an even
    worse idea....(just my opinion)
    anyway im 52 i retire at 60 so i wont be fixing this rubbish much longer!!!
    Cheers
    Ah well good for business eh Dave--keep thinking of the money

No Peavey repairs mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicdiscos View Post
    i know 3 DJs with active mackies. person 1 had his HF driver blow 3 times although the warranty covered the repair, person 2's amp went in one side and person 3 has got plastic white fans strapped to the stands pointing at the heatsinks to stop them overheating and tripping!
    i've not used active gear myself though
    The active Mackies i thought were unreliable definetely the worst active speaker ive used.

Quote Originally Posted by dj keevers View Post
    thanks, however, i suppose i should have stated that the previous posts were for passives speakers in general. Ill try and do an active forum post next
    Great I have actually skim read some block text for once and for once got something right
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspin View Post
    The active Mackies i thought were unreliable definetely the worst active speaker ive used.
    Putting this into perspective....

You had them for a couple of months and you complained about the heatsinks getting hot and I seem to recall you having problems with the HF on one.

How many active speakers have you used?