Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drive

Default External Hard Drive

Hi Folks

Im currently re-orgainising my music files and have decided on purchasing another external hard drive.
    Now at present I have two, a desktop powered drive and a portable hard drive (Non Powered) which are used for both disco and office bits which I now want to seperate hence the new one.

Now my question is I would like to purchase a 1TB unit to use with the Denon HD2500 when I eventually get it so for those who have one of these units which one is recommended a powered version or non powered?

Frankie

Powered everything Frankie. HD, hub, whatever. HD2500s like their peripherals to be powered (not essential, but they behave better)
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Brilliant thanks for the reply Steve, powered it is then.

I second what Steve has said. I dont have the Denon but I find that powered hardware is more reliable and less likely to drop out.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?

I still can't get that Toughdrive working with my 2500...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    have you tried formatting the drive to FAT32. Sounds a silly answer but thats one of the reasons why it might not work if you havent already tried it its either that or a problem with power. Have you tried removing usb keyboards and any other stuff connected to the hd2500and just plugging the hardisk in on its own into the usb hub... or either that plugging the hardisk straight into the hd2500 (does the hardisk have its own power adapter? or is it powered from the usb?)

Frankie: A Good external drive to use with the denon would be a western digital mybook or elements. I use a 1TB Maxtor basics with mine and ive never had any trouble. Ive had it for around 3 years now.

the small WD Passport drive seems to work fine if you have a powered hub

Maplins have a 1 TB Seagate in at the moment on special @
    £59.99. Ive bought a couple and they seem ok for a cheapo product.
    The Psu is a box with slide on pin adaptors but at least its a 2 Wire (NO EARTH) power supply so it doesnt cause any buzzing or digital noise.
    I personally dont like the "NEW" Connector used for the USB but theyre all going that way now
    Cheers

Order Code: A51JK

data sheet
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/A51JK-Datasheet.pdf
    DAVESOUNDS DISCO PUBLIC ADDRESS & PAT TESTING SERVICES BASED IN WAKEFIELD

"It didnt do that the last time i plugged it in!"

http://www.davesounds.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Powered everything Frankie. HD, hub, whatever. HD2500s like their peripherals to be powered (not essential, but they behave better)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry B Entertainment View Post
    I second what Steve has said. I dont have the Denon but I find that powered hardware is more reliable and less likely to drop out.
    Powered everything. Cortex won't accept any unpowered HD I've offered it. Numark will accept Toughdrive and Maxtor, but not WD.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Runs on Numark D2. As Twinspin says, mine is FAT32, don't know if that makes a difference.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

You could also try this Darren.

Plug the toughdrive in as you normally do into the hd2500 then press the util button and go to initialization and go to the format option.

BUT dont format it. just look down the list of drives available for formatting and see if the manufacturer and model of your hardisk on the list of drives is there to format.

If it is Then the problem will be is the drive needs formatting to FAT32. If its not it must be a power problem.

e.g. If you plug a hardisk into the denon thats not FAT32 when you go to the source menu to select the usb drive. It will have a cross through it and you wont be able to access it as you probably know.

Give it a try Darren if you havent already see what happens.
    Last edited by Twinspin; 09-10-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspin View Post
    You could also try this Darren.

Plug the toughdrive in as you normally do into the hd2500 then press the util button and go to initialization and go to the format option.

BUT dont format it. just look down the list of drives available for formatting and see if the manufacturer and model of your hardisk on the list of drives is there to format.

If it is Then the problem will be is the drive needs formatting to FAT32. If its not it must be a power problem.

e.g. If you plug a hardisk into the denon thats not FAT32 when you go to the source menu to select the usb drive. It will have a cross through it and you wont be able to access it as you probably know.

Give it a try Darren if you havent already see what happens.
    Thanks John - I'll give that a go.