Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Do you allow others to "patch" into your system?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way...its my gear and thats that!

13 24.53%
  • I do, as long as I get asked before hand

21 39.62%
  • Yeah, no problem.

8 15.09%
  • Only if I know them

5 9.43%
  • I haven't refused yet, but you ever know

6 11.32%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Allowing other entertainers to "patch" into your system!

Just had a phone call 5 minutes ago. It was from a singer that is hired to perform alongside me at tomorrows wedding. This is the first I'd heard that there would be a singer too.

I knew what was coming. He told me that he would need to hook into my PA. It'll come as no shock to many of you that I very politely told him this won't be possible as the inputs of my mixer aren't accessible. He then started moaning that he would have to bring a PA with him, and how much of a hassle this was going to be for him. *my heart bleeds*

Note to other hired entertainers: Hooking in to my PA isn't an option. Load up your van like we all have to do.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Just had a phone call 5 minutes ago. It was from a singer that is hired to perform alongside me at tomorrows wedding. This is the first I'd heard that there would be a singer too.
    Highly unprofessional contacting you last minute.

If I am asking a DJ if I cant patch iin to their system its done immediately the booking is taken --whether thats acceptable is up to them--but time wise you dont do it the night before.

Lets hope the singing is better than the organisation.

Not too clever by the client either--

. He then started moaning that he would have to bring a PA with him, and how much of a hassle this was going to be for him. *my heart bleeds*
    Shaun, I applaud your stance, I admire your attitude, and view you as a role model in this matter. Well done that man.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Highly unprofessional contacting you last minute.

If I am asking a DJ if I cant patch iin to their system its done immediately the booking is taken --whether thats acceptable is up to them--but time wise you dont do it the night before.

Lets hope the singing is better than the organisation.

Not too clever by the client either--
    Make that CAN patch in ---been clearing up my HD today and its getting late

It was the presumption of the call that irritated me slightly.

It was the presumption of the call that irritated me slightly.
    Agreed. That doesn't sit well with me.

Let us hope that having been apprised of his failure to comply with the three week notice requirement, and the concomitant fee, he doesn't retaliate by making you disappear behind his PA stack!

Were I you, I'd be sure to act in accordance with the DJ Handbook: Arrive early. Take the high ground.

It may have been said before (but can't be bothered going over 6 pages! ) I presume he is still charging the same to the client if he uses his own PA or not, so why do they never offer to 'share' their fee to use our PA??
    High quality bespoke wedding entertainment
    www.thepinkelephantcompany.co.uk
    part of 'The Pink Elephant Entertainment Company Ltd'

Ok just voted and its a definate No from me. Had a Robbie Williams tribute assume that he could plug into my PA, walked in with cd's and Mic.

I pointed out that I did not have a CD player and when I asked why he had not got his own PA, turns out he had and just looking for the easier option as he had his missus with him, still getting paid the same though.

I suppose if I had the Disco/Karaoke set up out then I would let an entertainer plug a mic in but it would depend on his attitude.
    www.bossmankaraokedisco.co.uk & www.coventry-weddingdj.co.uk
    BOSSMAN KARAOKE DISCO inc. COVENTRY WEDDING DJ

Covering Coventry, West Midlands & Warwickshire

For the last few years (way since this thread was started), I've been working a venue that I regularly share our PA with other acts (as a means of controlling noise levels). However, they do not use our mixer (unless by prior arrangement), but rather, plug theirs into our rack. We can swap between sources with the twist of a knob. I've never had to connect more than 2, although I can connect 3 from the front. Ours is permanently plugged in to ch4 & I can add another 4 by taking the back off the case.

Name:  20230828_134312.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  90.8 KBName:  2023-08-28 13.42.29.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  93.5 KB

(Yes, I am aware the fan is upside-down)

You'd be amazed how many of them want to bring their own PA when they hear about the sound restrictions. (nope, not going to happen). They also don't plug anything in unless we've seen copies of PAT & PLI. My bag of tricks often comes into play too, the amount of them that have mixers with no XLR out on their mixers & require some form of adaptor.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    For the last few years (way since this thread was started), I've been working a venue that I regularly share our PA with other acts (as a means of controlling noise levels).
    Yeah, but you're now " poacher turned gamekeeper " with your automatic volume controls, sound deadening curtains, and box of adaptors.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    However, they do not use our mixer (unless by prior arrangement), but rather, plug theirs into our rack. .
    To quote Finbarr Saunders; nice rack. I actually think I basically understand it.