Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What FD announcement do you make?

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Good point re first dance. I put them on the ceiling now.
    Most photographers when i ask don't seem to care but it does look like a nuclear explosion.

Generally though its not bad when it gets going. Really adds colour/movement quite passively IMO.
    I agree with you about LED effects in general, I think they're fine once you get into the disco, but if my photos/video of my first dance had showed coloured dots all over my wife's plain white dress, I'd have been cross. The same goes for cluster lasers - fine for the main show, but not for the first dance. Slowly panning moving heads or mirror scans (away from the B&G and where-ever the photographer is standing), colour wash or some other effect with gobos pointed away from the dance floor are all that should ever be used, unless you have a specifically planned and choreographed routine going on that has a big change in pace that requires more movement to emphasise the change.

In quite a few cases where it's still been light for the first dance, I have actually had zero effects on the dance floor and just projected stars or hearts onto the ceiling or the marquee lining - then I've got no chance of spoiling anyone's view by shining bright lights into their eyes or their camera lenses.

Anyway Back on Topic I've been following the updates on the FD announcements with interest as Mic technique has always been my weakest point. However, my script runs more or less as per everyone else's and I have also always made a point of separating my introduction from the first dance announcement (as Derek said, the focus at this point should ALL be on the B&G, not the DJ). I am going to start coming out from behind the booth to start the announcement though as I think this works well to draw peoples attention to a point, and you can then re-direct it to where ever the B&G are making their entrance (while you return to the booth to press play).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

The only lighting I use is LED PAR colour washes plus and ADJ H2O ripple effect. Then mid-way through the dance I use an ADJ Sparkle effect (looks like a mirrorball down on the floor).

Sometimes photographers ask for particular lights to be on but they will use them to create some stunning effects.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    The only lighting I use is LED PAR colour washes plus and ADJ H2O ripple effect. Then mid-way through the dance I use an ADJ Sparkle effect (looks like a mirrorball down on the floor).

Sometimes photographers ask for particular lights to be on but they will use them to create some stunning effects.
    I tend to only use Par Cans as well ... and soon I'll start using my mirror balls hopefully!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that there should never be any more than a hint of colour for the first dance. Maybe a very gentle pastel hue from LED pars/washes might be ok if it's in keeping with the scheme of the wedding.

Unless they have requested 'spotlight' style lighting I tend to ensure than no lighting is directed at the bride and groom. The first dance is one of the most photographed moments of the day and NO professional photographer will appreciate an excessive amount of colour (and certainly not 'dots').

If it is possible to use a mirrorball effectively for the first dance then I MAY use one otherwise the only additional lighting will be moving heads and scanners on open white (or SUITABLE gobo) either static and facing outwards from the booth or on a slow pan than just encroaches onto the dancefloor. I have a slow-pan programme but, if it doesn't suit the venue, I will revert to either static 'fanned' beams or just backlight.

Again, only my opinion. I actually (if admin doesn't mind me linking) wrote a brief article on lighting for weddings (again, just my opinions).

Videographer hates green uplighting to!!!

30 mins after I start I intorduce myself and a brief outline of the evening...

Good evening ladies and gents and a very warm welcome to [venue]. Thank you for joining myself, Gary, to celebrate [B&G name] wedding. I'm going to be playing some background music for the next 30 minutes or so, then at [time] [B&G name] shall be doing there first dance. After the special moment we will shall be having something to eat. In the meantime if you have any requests please come and see me.
    5 minutes before FD
    Once again ladies & gents good evening and welcome. A little reminder to get those camera ready as the [B&G] first dance as Mr & Mrs [X] will be taking place in 5 minutes.
    Intro to FD
    Ladies & gents it's come to a very special time of the evening. Can you please give a very big and warm welcome to [Bride & Groom] name, the new Mr & Mrs [Surname] for there first dance of the evening
    Most of the time Bride & Grooms don't really have a opioion on how they are introduced so I suggest the above...

Although in July the father of the groom introduced them as he wanted to do a speech but agreed with the B&G that this was a better time to do as opposed to the speeches before the Wedding Breakfast.

Two things there Gary, you re making it sound like it's your function by asking the guests to join 'you' to celebrate the B&G's wedding, then after the first dance 'we' shall be having something to eat.

Thanks for the advice.