Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What FD announcement do you make?

Thanks for the offer but I've got lots on at the moment and the missus is mega busy with her work too. We don't have that much time for eachother at the moment so I want to make the most of seeing her.

With reference to may audacity comment - Mine may appear a tad cheesy to others but I think it sounds ok. It's just wedding bells low in the mix with Madness 'It must be love' over the top of it. I have it down really low and say my bit over the top of it but it's something rather than nothing. If it finishes before they arrive on the dancefloor then I just start it again. Their first dance is already cue'd up so it's not a problem to start that whenever they make it on to the dancefloor.

Default First Dance Announcement

I vary what I say but a typical first dance announcemet will be preceded by a trumpet fanfare which will get everyone's attention.

I then (may) say "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Today has been a day of special moments, never to be repeated and another one is about to happen as (B&G) take to the floor for the first dance of the evening. We need a big cheer and a big round of applause as they hit the floor....."

What I actually say may differ from the above but the structure will be more or less the same.

All good stuff and it just goes to show how different people view the same subject differently. What works for one of us may not feel right for another. Within reason, there's no right or wrong way.

Back in the 80's I used to get the bride and groom up onto the stage and literally interview them before asking them to take to the floor. Something I wouldn't dream of doing now!

For the introductions, I use "Love is the message" by MFSB, an instrumental track which has a nice 30-40 second opening building to a crescendo to announce the bride and groom taking to the floor. Its also 6 minutes long so you have plenty of backup music should things not quite go according to plan.

If there are a few kids present, I get them to sit along the opposite side of the dancefloor and give a big cheer when the B&G come onto the floor. If they have confetti or the like, so much the better.

What I will say is this. I am glad this thread has appeared again as it was originally posted 3 years ago and things on my side have changed.
    I personally am a lot more confident now.
    The first dance is one of the most important things in my opinion and once it's done it seems as if it's a big relief to the Brides & Grooms.
    Another thing I'd say is that it is well worth meeting the Brides & Grooms beforehand to find out what THEY want. As we know, every wedding is different. Some peoples ideas may be and generally are different to others.
    I've had Brides and Grooms that don't want a big deal made of it. I've had others that absolutely love the limelight. I've had some where they don't want a first dance too.
    In my experience (and I am no expert), meeting them beforehand and putting them at ease is well worth doing. 9 times out of 10 (ok, maybe less than that?) it's the Groom that is a bit apprehensive about the whole thing and wants it done and dusted so they can get on with their evening (I know that sounds a bit crude but it's true with some that I have spoken to).
    I wouldn't take it for granted that they all want to be announced as Mr & Mrs.... It's interesting talking to them and asking them how they would like to be announced and it's even more interesting when the most common reply (for me anyway) is that it's something that they haven't even thought of.

Default Some Brides & Grooms Feel Really Uncomfortable Being The Centre Of Attention

In my experience extrovert brides and grooms are in the minority and quite a few are really anxious about the first dance often, initially (until advised to the contrary) wanting to "get it over with" as early and quickly as possible.

An extreme example of a couple not wanting to be the centre of attention (quite difficult at their own wedding) occurred at a wedding I did a couple of weeks ago. When I met them I asked how they would like to end the evening. Would they have everyone cheering them as they went to their car or would they stay to the end for a big finale?

No. They wanted as little fuss as possible and they would probably "creep off" during the evening!

On the night the bride came to me and told me she and the groom would be doing just that in 10 minutes. She asked me to wait until they had been gone for 20 minutes then announce the fact.

I did that in as positive a way as I could. After that people began leaving and the groom's mother asked me to finish 45 minutes early!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Skinner View Post
    In my experience extrovert brides and grooms are in the minority and quite a few are really anxious about the first dance often, initially (until advised to the contrary) wanting to "get it over with" as early and quickly as possible.

An extreme example of a couple not wanting to be the centre of attention (quite difficult at their own wedding) occurred at a wedding I did a couple of weeks ago. When I met them I asked how they would like to end the evening. Would they have everyone cheering them as they went to their car or would they stay to the end for a big finale?

No. They wanted as little fuss as possible and they would probably "creep off" during the evening!

On the night the bride came to me and told me she and the groom would be doing just that in 10 minutes. She asked me to wait until they had been gone for 20 minutes then announce the fact.

I did that in as positive a way as I could. After that people began leaving and the groom's mother asked me to finish 45 minutes early!
    Nice to see a three year post back again

I agree with people wanting it out of the way. I dont over do things much, but try and add some personalisation.
    In this one she crushed her finger (probably broke it) which affected her day so I mentioned it in the first dance intro.

Skip to 30 seconds.

-

Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    A little off topic, but you've got a lovely set of LED dots all over the first dance photos...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    A little off topic, but you've got a lovely set of LED dots all over the first dance photos...

Julian
    Looks much worse on video tbh.

I usually tend to put them up on the ceiling and drop them down later.
    Its only DJ's who hate dots.

I had a scoot around my area the other day and chatted to 5 DJ's working.
    It was pitiful to see such bad lighting all strobing and flashing all over the place, with no colour in the room itself.
    from behind the booth it looked OK but in the room itself it was terrible and quite stressful or not even effective at all.

The best effect I saw out of all of those hotels was a DIY disco with two halogen i-colours.
    They were flooding the room with rich colour and really looked nice.
    Last edited by yourdj; 12-03-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Its only DJ's who hate dots.
    Whilst I might agree with you for general disco use, I couldn't disagree more for the first dance. In fact, it was only a couple of days ago I was reading a lengthy thread on either a bridal forum or FB group where they were all moaning about bloody coloured dots all over first dance photos - WITHOUT EXCEPTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Whilst I might agree with you for general disco use, I couldn't disagree more for the first dance. In fact, it was only a couple of days ago I was reading a lengthy thread on either a bridal forum or FB group where they were all moaning about bloody coloured dots all over first dance photos - WITHOUT EXCEPTION!
    Good point re first dance. I put them on the ceiling now.
    Most photographers when i ask don't seem to care but it does look like a nuclear explosion.

Generally though its not bad when it gets going. Really adds colour/movement quite passively IMO.