Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too cool for party games........age 9!!

Default Too cool for party games........age 9!!

Hi everyone.
    Just wondering what your thoughts were on this:

I have a booking for a nine year old birthday party coming up soon.
    I emailed the girls mum to find out what kind of music the girl was into. I also asked if she would like any party games (positions dances etc).

The mum replied with a list of the girls favourite artists, all the usual stuff, JLS, Cheryle Cole, Lady Gaga etc.

She also replied that she had asked her daughter about party games and "she was not into that at all, sorry".

My question is, would you accept that, and just play the music, or would you still try a couple of games (it may be her friends are up for it)?

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Why on earth would you try a couple of games if they had specifically said no?

For a kids party I always go armed with a few tubes of glow bracelets, my limbo polls, and some toilet rolls for the Mummy game ... come to think of it I never leave for a gig without all of the above!

The birthday child may think they are "too cool" but having options "just in case" can surely never be a bad thing.

Cheers, Paul ;o)
    Counting my blessings

Unique, Elegant and Fun Wedding Disco Entertainment
    http://www.thepartydj.co.uk

Try some games. Her friends won't necessarily be the same as her.

When I face that situation, I let the birthday girl do the DJ work for the games (bumps, chairs etc.). It keeps them engaged even if they don't want to play.

Check it's Ok with mum/dad first. On you mixer, adjust the gains so even if the slider goes all way up, it won't overcook the speakers.

Last comment I had was "thanks for making xxxx's birthday absolutely fantastic - she loved being a DJ"

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Because at the end of the day she is still young, immature and needs to have fun. Her other mates will be bored!

Don't be patronising, approach it as if it is "cool" and that prizes can be won.

I do % it works if done properly. Play it by ear.

I take your point, but I just feel that at that age two hours of just music is a long time to keep them entertained.

I'm with Darren here why on earth would you do some party games when they said she doesn't want any?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I'm with Darren here why on earth would you do some party games when they said she doesn't want any?
    I agree. If they said no games, then no games. They are the client after all.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    would you accept that, and just play the music, or would you still try a couple of games (it may be her friends are up for it)?
    I would do what the customer asked for, irrespective of whether or not I agreed with it (within reason, of course).

One of the most regular complaints levelled at DJs of is the fact that they're often a law unto themselves and play/do whatever they feel like.

I'd keep a few props in the van just in case mum comes over partway through and asks for games after all, but I certainly wouldn't try to force her hand or, worse, go against her original request.

9-year-olds are easily entertained for two hours - especially if as suspected it's mostly girls. Boys at that age will just want to run around and kill each other, stopping briefly (if you're lucky) for a very few well-chosen songs.

So, if a client specifically said no cheese at a function, you'd go and play loads would you - in case some of the other guests liked it?