Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: Do you think restrictions should be applied to the jobs offered / required section?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - I think that we should continue to allow anyone to post up a job / apply for a job offered

21 32.31%
  • Yes - The restrictions detailed in the first post are a good idea and should be inplemented

41 63.08%
  • Yes - but not those detailed in the OP. I have given my suggestion in the thread.

3 4.62%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on proposed changes to Jobs Offered / Required section

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Yes. This isn't the job centre
    Neither is it ebay but a lot of people just pipe up and sell stuff when they need to. Surely gigs offered to members of this forum can be nothing but a positive thing, if done correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    Neither is it ebay but a lot of people just pipe up and sell stuff when they need to.
    Not unless they're established members of the forum with a track record. (The same restrictions apply to posting up stuff for sale as are being proposed for the jobs offered / required section).
    Surely gigs offered to members of this forum can be nothing but a positive thing, if done correctly?
    Well that's what we're trying to gauge here... how members feel about this.

Are members happy accepting gigs from what are more or less strangers, without a 'track record' on the forum?

From my POV, the only down-side to putting these restrictions in place is that someone who runs a less-than-decent service would have the 'get out of jail free' card that the forum supplies removed.... meaning that they would have no-where to turn and a client could be let down as a result. But, conversely, so long as there is a 'get out of jail free' card available, the bar will remain low.

If done correctly being the key.

Not participating in anything else on the forum is not. Apart from anything else, I think it's quite ill mannered.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

It's a tricky one for sure, was just saying what I thought

Absolutely Mark!

That's what this thread is for - so that we can debate the pros and cons!

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Steve - FDDJ View Post
    I voted "Yes" although I think there could be some further "minimum requirements" added, i.e. anyone posting a job must confirm date, location, start time, finish time, set up time, any extras (e.g. uplighting) etc.

I also think members should be clear about who exactly you are expected to work for should you accept the gig, i.e. dealing direct with the client or working on behalf of the other disco etc.

Nothing riles me more than someone who has taken or wants to take a cut and doesn't have the decency to be honest about it.
    I agree with this, although personally not fussed of someone has taken a cut (I will add I personally do not take a cut). A criteria should be met to include the above and I think the fee should also be displayed.

However - I also think members should be banned from commenting on the thread other than to let the OP know they are available.

Either that, or could replies only be allowed by PM only as opposed to the open forum ?

I'm actually going to go against the grain here. I voted to keep it as it is.

The buck stops with the people involved. In the recent case that happened it wasnt anything the forum did or didnt do that caused the sad events of the weekend but rather the two muppets themselves.

When I've offered jobs out people who I didnt know had no chance. Only regular posters that come across in the right way were given the time of day.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Is that a bad thing?

Im in favour as its been obvious some people HAVE been using this forum as a Job Exchange recently.

Now im sure there are benefits for those getting the work and for those giving it--but then you ask well wheres the trade off--what do the rest of the forum get--im not talking money--just what a forum is intended to operate for mainly---I assume sharing of ideas, raising of standards, learning, improving and getting help from others with the odd bit of work moving between members.

Of course you dont need to be MR A EINSTEIN to work out that if people wish to circulate a job all they need do is email all the members on this forum individually (not PM) however that of course INVOLVES A LOT OF WORK.

That clearly is why they dont bother and use the forum.

So its getting the job done on the cheap exploiting the forum

Now if one of the regular CONTRIBUTORS comes on here regularly with job offers thats absolutely fine--

One final idea--the decision as to WHO can offer jobs on here is left to the discretion of the forum mods who know the score

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    If done correctly being the key.

Not participating in anything else on the forum is not. Apart from anything else, I think it's quite ill mannered.

My view is that people like me, who need experience... should be able to see posts that people need roadies. I know it doesnt happen often but its worth a thought.

I'm not one for offering jobs or accepting them - i'm just not silly enough to take jobs on at the moment.

One way to do it is too restrict it to supporters. I'd be more than happy to support MDD for the facility.
    Last edited by NXDisco; 03-11-2010 at 04:35 PM.