Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeches, your styles & tips!

Default Speeches, your styles & tips!

OK I have been making speeches for a couple of years now and I can say I really enjoy it.

Not sure why
    Probably makes me feel more important

I think it is a crucial part of any formal event and I do like to do things myself.
    I like to walk amongst people and get to know them on a face to face basis.
    Depends on the function but I am rarely behind the booth at the start or end.

This bloke seems to introduce and make speeches for everything which seems a bit OTT but hey thats America
    Who here introduces the speeches for best man etc. I never have?
    (ignore the first half until 3.30 mins).

OK then - What are you top five tips for making speeches

Mine are:

1: Planning! Think through the speech before you do it.
    2: Write down key information. i always have a little piece of paper in my hand - no one notices.
    3: Talk at half the speed or less than you normally would.
    4: Scan the crowd back and forth but do not look directly at anyone.
    5: Video your speech and play it back after the gig to analyze your habits.

There is allot more. i want to know how to make people shut up quicker and stop chatting!!!
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Its a Toasmaster/MCs job to announce each and every speaker to the microphone. This included Best Man, Groom, Father of the Bride and whoever else is chosen to say a few words. Ive worked with a toastmaster and even took a few pointers off him and its more involved than you may think.

Ive considered becoming a toastmaster with the ETA myself as it can be a definate upsell.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

make it humorous but tactful.
    If someone starts reminiscing and going into dangerous territory i play softly over the top the "our tune" from simon Bates on radio1,this breaks it up and moves things on.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    Its a Toasmaster/MCs job to announce each and every speaker to the microphone. This included Best Man, Groom, Father of the Bride and whoever else is chosen to say a few words. Ive worked with a toastmaster and even took a few pointers off him and its more involved than you may think.

Ive considered becoming a toastmaster with the ETA myself as it can be a definate upsell.
    Yes they do have a presence. How do they make people do what thy want Im OK at it but it amazes me how quickly people are quiet when a toastmaster does their job. It might be the big red jacket that helps.

Speeches:
    Most of my clients just start themselves and pass the mic over to the next speaker.
    Never had any problems but a formal introduction would definitely go down well.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Yes they do have a presence. How do they make people do what thy want Im OK at it but it amazes me how quickly people are quiet when a toastmaster does their job. It might be the big red jacket that helps.

Speeches:
    Most of my clients just start themselves and pass the mic over to the next speaker.
    Never had any problems but a formal introduction would definitely go down well.
    In terms of a wedding reception, as a mobile DJ I can't recall an occasion when I've been required or thought it appropriate to announce speeches (notwithstanding someone saying "thank's for coming" during the evening). If there is no toastmaster present, it is the responsibility of the hotel banqueting manager to make any announcements (or at least it was when I was a hotel GM). Do you organise the receiving line as well?

Why wouldn't you want to give a bit of extra value Jonathan?

I quite often act as toastmaster if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    In terms of a wedding reception, as a mobile DJ I can't recall an occasion when I've been required or thought it appropriate to announce speeches (notwithstanding someone saying "thank's for coming" during the evening). If there is no toastmaster present, it is the responsibility of the hotel banqueting manager to make any announcements (or at least it was when I was a hotel GM). Do you organise the receiving line as well?
    I have done. If ive been on hand all day then it is something that i have doen as an upsell, hence why I'm thinking of joinging the ETA.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to give a bit of extra value Jonathan?

I quite often act as toastmaster if required.
    No problems with giving more bang for the buck, Darren, and if a B&G want me to do it, of course I will. The post just struck me as blurring the lines between what the venue should be doing, and what we generally do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ford View Post
    No problems with giving more bang for the buck, Darren, and if a B&G want me to do it, of course I will. The post just struck me as blurring the lines between what the venue should be doing, and what we generally do.
    What I have found is that if it's just an evening reception then the banqueting managers are not normally around which is why I tend to take over and help run the evening.

I rarely do just an evening Wedding reception. Mostly I am with them all day and act as Toast Master, the uniform does help to gain the attention of the crowd. Of course the other thing prob is that during the day people expect there to be more formal proceedings so I guess they are more plyable towards me. In the evening most folk expect it to be more relaxed and informal so it does take a bit more work to get folk on-side if you do have to do some formal announcements and features and when you are just wearing a normal tux you don't stand out as being someone to command attention.

I do work one hotel that provides the Opps Manager as Toast Master but he just wears his plain suit and if I am about he often asks me to take over as he knows that is something I have been trained in. I have a couple of hotels that I work regularly and have to be careful not to upset them as nowadays they often charge for providing TM/MC services so if I go along and sell myself to do it I am potentially taking revenue away from them and it can cause awkwardness.

If you are being Toast Master you have to get to know all about your client and their guests...in particular the Wedding Party, I don't really see that a DJ can just turn up and start organising speeches and entrance lines etc. without any prior consultation.

Being a DJ already gives you a set of skills that make a good grounding for Toast Mastering or MCing but you really need to look at it in a bit more detail and get it right. Working a cheapo Wedding in the back room of a local pub you night get away with a bit of sarcasm or the odd wise crack to gain attention but for a decent type Wedding where they are paying you to provide these extra services you need presence and tact.