Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speeches, your styles & tips!

Good topic.
    There is quite a difference between a Toastmaster and a Master of Ceremonies. Just what those differences are could well be the subject of a whole new thread.

The reality is that many DJs do have the skill and knowledge required to make announcements and introductions.
    There is also the opportunity to earn extra cash when extending your services to include the wedding breakfast.

I address this subject in some detail in my new workshop [ see the advertising section of the forum]. Feedback so far is that many would like to benefit by developing their skills.

i agree with Andy totally when he says planning and consultation are vital for success when taking on this role.
    Many Thanks

Derek Pengelly
    Mobile DJ Advocate
    http://www.weddingdaysecrets.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DerekPen View Post
    There is quite a difference between a Toastmaster and a Master of Ceremonies. Just what those differences are could well be the subject of a whole new thread.
    I must admit, I thought they were similar roles. Start a new thread Derek - I'd be interested in learning more.

Dont put the client under pressure, probably by that time they will be quite drunk anyway so getting the mic off them will be the hard bit

DIGITAL HEART - VINYL SOUL

Really interesting thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

Mine are:

1: Planning! Think through the speech before you do it.
    2: Write down key information. i always have a little piece of paper in my hand - no one notices.
    3: Talk at half the speed or less than you normally would.
    4: Scan the crowd back and forth but do not look directly at anyone.
    5: Video your speech and play it back after the gig to analyze your habits.
    Absolutely, I'd agree fully with everything except only partly to (4). Looking at one fixed point is a bad move, but I have always been taught in public speaking to pick out individuals around the room/in an audience and briefly maintain eye contact, as if talking directly to them for a few seconds, as this establishes rapport (audiences feel you are likewise interested in THEM) and engenders their attention.
    Obviously, break contact quicker if you can see they are uncomfortable.

This is for speaches/presentations/training, however. I often use this technique when talking/vamping between live numbers too, sometimes even addressing entire one-liners to one or two people...although that's in "Entertainer" mode and is entirely less formal. (Same fish, different kettle.)

Quote Originally Posted by DerekPen View Post
    Good topic.
    Tell us more! Tell us more! ;-)
    I'm imagining it's do to with the degree of formality?
    I imagine even MCs have a pretty standard approach....Would be fascinated to know these, Derek.

Interesting response from Andy too....

Conversely I personally try and sell the "MCing" role within my daytime/wedding breakfast shows on the fact that it's introduction of key guests WITHOUT all the formality. Some clients do want this (and not just those above pubs)...the degree of formality/informality dictated here by client planning and set styles. Jazz orientated breakfasts tend to be a little more "serious".
    But then you can rarely go from a huge "sing-a-long-a-Sweet Caroline" to "And now...the Brides' Dad!" in any way other than "informal"!

LOL

Would love to hear more about how other guys work.
    Last edited by Jonny Boy; 26-11-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: clarity