Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Moonflower with gobos

Quote Originally Posted by supersound View Post
    Theres only 1 input no output Tony,however if someone like Tech could make a spliced lead it might work.

Paul
    Dont see why it should not work ,you can buy a splitter or a few ticks with the soldering iron worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by supersound View Post
    Now that would be a great demo at the north east meeting.
    I for 1 would like to see a side by side comparasome,however the big test would be brightness and sharpness at distance between the two.

Are yours the 10w Leds? and are yours the early ones with no DMX?

Paul
    they are quite new got them off mike a couple of months ago and they will dmx.

no problem comparing them side by side at north east meet,as long as somebody can supply some datamoons,just sold mine to young steve
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    colours are bright,gobo's are sharp.
    not done a side by side comparison but have used the cougars in some of the same places i used the datamoons and they are fine.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    I just wonder if it is possible to link them via jack socket just use a double jack adaptor and you could control more than one via the UC3 controller just a thought.
    I got a felling you probably couldn’t, otherwise I would have thought they would build the unit with an in and out socket, like DMX.

Quote Originally Posted by deltic View Post
    they are quite new got them off mike a couple of months ago and they will dmx.

no problem comparing them side by side at north east meet,as long as somebody can supply some datamoons,just sold mine to young steve
    I’ve got a datamoon, but I’m down here and your up there!!

I think it will pay to wait a while before I make my mind up. I think there will be a lot of these types of effects coming out soon.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing.
    It was here first.

did anyone ever do a comparison of these. I am looking at getting a pair of cougars purely because i wont have to keep replacing bulbs but am unsure on brightness from what i have heard from people.

Quote Originally Posted by chrispeacock View Post
    did anyone ever do a comparison of these. I am looking at getting a pair of cougars purely because i wont have to keep replacing bulbs but am unsure on brightness from what i have heard from people.
    I run a pair of Cougar's next to a pair of 250w Acme Puma's and they're comparable in brightness. The light they give out is quite different though as are the optics. That is, it's a cold white light compared to the warm halogen lamp, the spread of the output is narrower. I've also noticed that the mirror's aren't glued to the dish particularly well so the centre projection is perfectly aligned with the middle, but the outlying ones are slightly out (cutting off the edge of the gobo's, or showing a slightly imperfect pattern). They're out on dry hire at the moment, but when they come back on Monday I'll do a side by side comparison between the Cougar's and the Puma's which hopefully should show you what I'm talking about.

My only other criticism is that they (like all Acme lights) tend to strobe quite a lot, but as they're LED, they do it by switching the lamp so produce a very fast strobe (whereas the Puma's use the Gobo wheel to shutter the lamp so strobe quite slowly).

Overall, I've been pleased with them as they are plenty bright, but bearing in mind how pricey they are I was initially disappointed with the spread and the quality of the output.

I've been looking for another set of LED moonflower's to replace the Puma's (ideally with separate gobo/colour wheels this time) and I'm leaning towards high end mirror scanners or moving heads with a prism instead of traditional moonflower structure lights as the price difference between them is small (and all of the moonflower LED lights I've seen so far have had pretty poor optics).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

thanks very much for the info. How much control do you have over them via the ca-8 controller. My acme winners like to strobe as do my old acme falcons, which i overcame with the ca-8 controller.

however my acme jaguars do not strobe much at all and the ca-8 controls them perfectly but they keep blowing bulbs. I think this is a very under estimated light.

however my acme jaguars do not strobe much at all and the ca-8 controls them perfectly but they keep blowing bulbs. I think this is a very under estimated light.
    Two things. First, make sure the lamp holders are in good condition. A worn one can take out a new lamp in no time flat.
    Second, when fitting the lamps, never touch the capsule with your fingers. If you do, then clean it thoroughly. These two things may cure your problem. May.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

cheers for the advice, many new lamps have been fittedand many new bulb holders and also new ceramic connector blocks. never touch the bulbs with my hands. always use latex gloves or a tissue. a mate is looking at these lighst for me over the next 2 weeks to see if he can find another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Second, when fitting the lamps, never touch the capsule with your fingers. If you do, then clean it thoroughly. These two things may cure your problem. May.
    If you do they can explode and spew their guts out of the glass. Great way to make an act and 90% of the audience require a new pair of underwear! Also taking out the MCBs in the dimmer rack... Moving head lamps are better. They properly explode requiring hours of work to clean the damn things out! I digress!

thanks very much for the info. How much control do you have over them via the ca-8 controller. My acme winners like to strobe as do my old acme falcons, which i overcame with the ca-8 controller.
    You get a choice between normal, slow and static programs and normal/blackout modes. In static you control the gobo using the select button as usual, but they do still strobe a bit (even in this mode).

Ironically you can force them to strobe as well by holding down the select button in either of the other two modes.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography