Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone use the RCF Art 902 sub?

Certainly the 902/711 combi is a very nice sounding system. Perfect for things like light rock. Demo'd with songs like the very well produced Eagles track called 'How Long', you really get to appreciate the precise nature of the sound.

The poster was looking to downsize to single 12 inch sub though. I'd still advise that a single 12 inch sub won't cut it although it depends what you do, where you do it and what you want your sound to be to determine if that's the right advice. Personally, I reckon 2x902's (nice though they are) will not really out perform the single QSC sub to justify the expense. For me, 1x902 wouldn't be enough for most circumstances.

However, there are many successful DJ's on this forum that don't use subs at all and that makes me wonder whether the very bottom end of the sound spectrum is really important to most customers. Somehow, I don't think it is, perhaps excepting the yoof audience. With that in mind, if you wanted to downsize for convenience I doubt it would make much difference to your customers perception of your service. So why not? save your back!!!!

I'm not sure which QSC you refer to, I'm not aware of a single 12 sub that they make which could fairly be compared to the 902, however, I did use to own a pair of the K double 12 subs which are maybe a fair comparisum.

Leaving the paperwork to one side you need to also accept that sound is subjective and personally I didn't like the bass output from the QSC, I found it to be a bit too wooley and the RCF much more punchy whilst still making walls flex and windows rattle. When you consider this and also the fact the QSC has an extra driver which makes the cab bigger and heavier it was no contest for me.

As for the figures its pretty much swings and roundabouts...in fact the RCF will go down lower...from memory think its 45khz apposed to 48 for the QSC, pretty sure that's right and I think I recall thlat they are both 1k and about the 130db mark. There are other trade offs like the ITC technology in the QSC is good but the power correction in the RCF could be argued to be better and so on.

As for working without subs...that's something that I know a lot of DJs do and do well, however, not something I like to do, once again personal taste and yes I agree clients on the whole don't care. As for adding a single sub to add a bit of depth, well obviously I suggest the 902 but lets be honest, it depends how far you want to go, one of the little DB or HK subs would do the job for much less money.

I appreciate the input guys.

this is the current sub I use.
    I do like it with my QSC K12s but it's a big awkward fella.
    I might try and put castors on it to help with moving.

Sweetie; forget what I said about the DB or HK subs as they aren't really in the same league as your K12s.

If you want a smaller sub that will compliment your current tops then I would say the double 12 K sub which although it is obviously larger it is something like 11kg lighter than the one you have at the moment. The obvious choice would be the 902 which is smaller and only about half the weight but of course a different brand so not a perfect visual match. I don't think there is much else that is smaller lighter and still able to do justice to your tops. However, some time ago I did see and hear a active Yorkville 10 inch sub which was amazing but lots of money, don't even know if its still a current model and can't remember the model number.