Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'FOR SALE' section

Default The 'FOR SALE' section

Just wanted to convey my disappointment at not being able to post an item for sale simply because I don't have more than 100 posts. (I assume that is the reason, my post was simply deleted telling me to read the rules. Maybe admin could be a bit more specific.)

I'm an established DJ for over 20 years and have been a member on this forum for well over a year now. Several years as a well respected member on other forums.

I only post if I think I can add some value to a thread. I won't clog up other peoples threads with silly comments, smileys and wisecracks.

I only start a thread if I want to ask a question that I can't find the answer to by searching,if I have a gig inquiry to offer, or if I have something to sell and I think some of your guys would appreciate the chance to buy.
    So my overall post count is generally low.

But rules is rules and I know that I have no say in your rules, I just have to abide by them. I am not posting this to upset anyone.

But I spent about half an hour composing that 'For Sale' post and I was not happy to see it deleted.

Maybe set up the forum so that users do not get a 'post new thread' button on the forums that they can't post in. It would save a lot of peoples time.

Steve
    Home - 01932 340599
    Mobile - 07785 910831
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cheese View Post
    Maybe set up the forum so that users do not get a 'post new thread' button on the forums that they can't post in. It would save a lot of peoples time.

Steve
    That is how it's set up now, but it isn't retrospective to those who signed up before the changes.

Unfortunately, short of making judgement calls EVERY time someone posts (which so many people would claim is unfair) we have got a blanket rule in place.

There is a 'Sticky' thread at the top of the 'For Sale' section headed 'PLEASE READ before posting' or similar.... I'm not sure what more we can do?

Unfortunately, we did have problems with people using us as Exchange and Mart, which is why we imposed this rule in the first place.

HINT. Quid a month. Don't let on I told you, or they'll all be in.

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ight=supporter
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Just a idea couldn't there be some implication were when members have been a member for at least a year and made 50 posts just to avoid anything like this ?

Sorry if this has already been tried and tested and failed etc
    Dave

I really don't think the software is sophisticated enough to do "If A then B, if C then D, else E"

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    I really don't think the software is sophisticated enough to do "If A then B, if C then D, else E"
    Ahhh ok no worries, im in that so ill out now lol
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Booche View Post
    Just a idea couldn't there be some implication were when members have been a member for at least a year and made 50 posts just to avoid anything like this ?

Sorry if this has already been tried and tested and failed etc
    Unfortunately not. After careful deliberation the for sale guidelines were setup as they are, and for the most part they work well.

Steve, as Angela has stated there is a pinned topic in the For Sale section titled 'Please read before posting' which outlines the requirements before posting. The main text underneath the For Sale section also states the requirements for posting. Ultimately it's the members responsibility for ensuring they are posting within the guidelines that's stated in several places on the forum. Other than that there's not a lot we can do. I'm sorry that this situation has upset you. At times our actions may upset people but that's the price we sometimes have to pay. It's not intentional and it's not personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cheese View Post
    I'm an established DJ for over 20 years and have been a member on this forum for well over a year now. Several years as a well respected member on other forums.

I only post if I think I can add some value to a thread. I won't clog up other peoples threads with silly comments, smileys and wisecracks.

I only start a thread if I want to ask a question that I can't find the answer to by searching,if I have a gig inquiry to offer, or if I have something to sell and I think some of your guys would appreciate the chance to buy.
    So my overall post count is generally low.

But rules is rules and I know that I have no say in your rules, I just have to abide by them. I am not posting this to upset anyone.

Steve
    I have to agree with Steve relating to the wise cracks and some silly comments that are made. Some threads are very good reading then you get a further page or so of smilies etc and drifting off topic.
    I do enjoy a bit of banter but this forum seems to be a bit overrun with some silly comments between members that have no bearing on the original thread.
    This is one of the better forums that I frequent for good sound information but you have to pick your way through some of the un-necessary comments.

Just my two pennies worth for what it’s worth.
    I’ll get my coat

Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post
    I have to agree with Steve relating to the wise cracks and some silly comments that are made. Some threads are very good reading then you get a further page or so of smilies etc and drifting off topic.
    I do enjoy a bit of banter but this forum seems to be a bit overrun with some silly comments between members that have no bearing on the original thread.
    This is one of the better forums that I frequent for good sound information but you have to pick your way through some of the un-necessary comments.

I’ll get my coat
    I can't argue with that. It's finding that fine line though. I know for a fact that if we were more hard-lined with off topic posts it would annoy and drive more people away than it would please. Were damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MBK View Post

I’ll get my coat
    Another case of 'Damned if we do, damned if we don't'.... if we put our collective foot down about off-topic / banter / chatter, we usually get abuse and 'hitler' comments!

We do try and run the middle ground: we're not perfect, and everyone has different ideas od what is just the right amount!