Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Star Cloth - Easliy Repaired?

Default Star Cloth - Easliy Repaired?

Hi Guys , my NJD Starcloth died on me on Saturday night. I guess the sub zero temp in my van over the last week , may have caused the internal wires to become brittle and break when the cloth was unfolded. Is there a way to repair this or test the internal circuit easily?
    WOODY

Hiya, if the starcloth died, every channel, it could be a fault with the controller. Check the fuse.
    It could be the common return wire has broken inside the cloth. If you have a zip in the cloth then have a look inside.
    If you have some electrical knowledge and a meter you may well be able to fix it. I am repairing my starcloth almost every 6 weeks as the wires come out of holders inside or an led fails and needs replacing.

Now sorted , broken wire.
    WOODY

Glad you fixed it. They are quite simple really and most faults are wires breaking or an led needing to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabradisco View Post
    Glad you fixed it. They are quite simple really and most faults are wires breaking or an led needing to be replaced.
    Finding them isn't easy though. I have 3 cloths I need to repair, wires don't look broken.

Any tips on how to check out which LEDs nead replacing would be grateful
    Northamptonshires Premier Video Disco • Northamptonshire based PAT Testing
    -----
    Pioneer DJM 2000, Apple MacBook Pro 17", 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk III, 2 x Technics SL1210, Virtual DJ

All right, are you ready for this?
    1. I hang my star cloth on a 3m gantry as it is 3 x 2 and raise the gantry so the cloth reached the floor. I use the black duck tape to fix cloth onto top bar so that I can open the zip. If you do not have a gantry you will have to hang it over a door or something else, maybe even lying it on the floor. This would be awkward with a 3 x 2 but easier with a 2 x 1m.
    2. Unzip the star cloth.
    3. Plug it in so you can see which leds are not working.
    4. Make sure there are no broken wires or loose wires that have come out of the led fitting.
    If a wire has come out of the led fiting you may need to resolder it in.
    5. If the wiring looks ok remove the first faulty led in the circuit and repalce with a new one. Most star cloths are supplied with a bag of spare leds.

When all working again, zip it up.

I have never had to do more than either reconnect wiring or replace leds.
    I hope this helps anyone reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabradisco View Post
    All right, are you ready for this?
    1. I hang my star cloth on a 3m gantry as it is 3 x 2 and raise the gantry so the cloth reached the floor. I use the black duck tape to fix cloth onto top bar so that I can open the zip. If you do not have a gantry you will have to hang it over a door or something else, maybe even lying it on the floor. This would be awkward with a 3 x 2 but easier with a 2 x 1m.
    2. Unzip the star cloth.
    3. Plug it in so you can see which leds are not working.
    4. Make sure there are no broken wires or loose wires that have come out of the led fitting.
    If a wire has come out of the led fiting you may need to resolder it in.
    5. If the wiring looks ok remove the first faulty led in the circuit and repalce with a new one. Most star cloths are supplied with a bag of spare leds.

When all working again, zip it up.

I have never had to do more than either reconnect wiring or replace leds.
    I hope this helps anyone reading this.
    Yeah thats a similar way to how I have done it so far, I just wondered if there was a quick way of telling which leds are blown without having to put new ones in until you find the faulty one. or without having to unsolder and test them one by one on a meter.
    Northamptonshires Premier Video Disco • Northamptonshire based PAT Testing
    -----
    Pioneer DJM 2000, Apple MacBook Pro 17", 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk III, 2 x Technics SL1210, Virtual DJ