Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QSC K 10 Small Beautiful & Loud

Default QSC K 10 Small Beautiful & Loud

Found myself in a stupid situation at the weekend as i was so busy hiring out gear that i had nothing left in the PA department to cover my own job (down to old age going senile ) so i had to raid the new stock only thing i had was a pair of QSC K 10 still in there boxes.
    Now i had heard these at Plasa but only the K12 with matching Sub i was impressed with the tops subs were just ok so i was a bit nervous going off to cover a job with just a pair of 10" cabs but had no choice.
    After arriving at venue quite large i decided to put them on a pair of Ultimate Gas lift stands to get them up high about 2.5m the K10 has a facility to angle the cabs so they tilt down 7.5 deg really clever you just twist the socket on the bottom of the cab by hand there is also a switch on the cab to boost the bass called deep.
    Ready to switch on, wow im gobsmacked this is the best sounding plastic cab i have ever heard so smooth and the bass from a 10" is amazing and so loud so much from such a small box and only 14kgs other nice touches locking iec in also inputs for mic with a vocal lift swicc and a pair of phonos so you can plug in a mp3 player or such like.
    Over the years i have owned plenty of powered cabs of this ilke RCF ,DB,JBLand this K series blows them all away needless to say they are now another addition to kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I have a pair and also the double 12 matching bins. TBH I prefer the RCF ART710s. I think the Ks are excellent but just not quite got the power and throw of the RCFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Goodtimes View Post
    I have a pair and also the double 12 matching bins. TBH I prefer the RCF ART710s. I think the Ks are excellent but just not quite got the power and throw of the RCFs.
    Interesting. I'm definitely going to get some 10s this year.

How usable are they on their own for gigs up to about 80 people? All sorts of music, but mainly chart, dance, commercial rnb and pop.

cheers

That's really up to you, there are folk that wouldn't use either of them on their own and those that would. I use the 710s with the little 902 bins but TBH the bins take less foot print than the stands do and they aren't that heavy either. If I got caught out I would use them on their own but not from choice...but like I say that's my personal take on things, I like to be able to feel the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Goodtimes View Post
    The RCF ART 710s are great little speakers but have a different dispersion pattern than the K10s hence your comments re throw.

Its quite interesting as up to this year the RCF was our best seller re 10" powered cabs,but i was up at Absolute Music talking to Andy there top sound guy who are RCF & QSC stockist and move a huge amount of gear,he was telling me the K series has outsold the RCF by 4 to 1 they have a dedicated sound room for the customer to try gear and it would seem the K10 is much sweeter and has a fuller sound than the RCF.
    What sold the K10 for me was the range of options on the back panel and the tilt on the pole mount as i like to get them high and direct the sound on to the dance floor which cuts out all the reflective surfaces in boxy rooms.
    As i said only used these on there own for that gig re transport issues but they did cope well.
    Sound is very personal and as you know my preferred choice at the moment is the Nexo system hey but who knows in the future always searching for the holy grail.

I am also looking at possibly buying new speakers next year and the QSC range looks very good. Most people seem to go for the K10. I would be looking to buy the speakers first and then in a few months going for a QSC bass bin.
    I normally play to between 150 and 200 people in small to medium size rooms, and I was wondering if the K10s on their own would cope with this. Or should I go for the K12.
    I will also want us them in larger venues, when required.

Anyone got any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

I'd be looking to stick them in situations where I would currently use a set of Mackie SRM450 V1s or Warrior PSR15a's. I am leaning towards RCF purely because I already have an ART705AS sub, but it is big and heavy so I would only want to use this for larger 100+ gigs.

For up to 100 people maybe I would be looking to use the 10s on their own. I do quite a lot of small parties and shorter teen parties where it is good if I can setup and carry the equipment in easily without my backbreaking PSR15A's (30kg each!)

Am I really asking too much and would I be selling the customer short ?

I have bought most of my sound equipment from Absolute and find them excellent and keen on price. I understand what you are saying Tony re the sound, I do tend to go for a bit more lively sound than most though...i.e I went from a PM90 mixer straight to a DJM3000 and actualy prefer the sound.

As for buying 10s and then adding a bin later...I personally would go for the 12s or save some more and get the 10s and the bin at the same time. My favourite 12s are the RCF ART322s, they have a 2inch horn but its not too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    I am also looking at possibly buying new speakers next year and the QSC range looks very good. Most people seem to go for the K10. I would be looking to buy the speakers first and then in a few months going for a QSC bass bin.
    I normally play to between 150 and 200 people in small to medium size rooms, and I was wondering if the K10s on their own would cope with this. Or should I go for the K12.
    I will also want us them in larger venues, when required.

Anyone got any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
    Hi Mike,hope you had a good Christmas as for the K series the 10 is the nicest sound if you can get them up nice and high they will cope quite easy with 200 people what you wont get is trouser flapping bass saying that they have a deep switch that adds extra bass but it is more of a clean hi fi sound.
    great for weddings but no good for a Drum & Bass gig.

If your thinking of getting the QSC sub or a pair then the 10 is the best to go with it ,the QSC subs are ok but you can use any active sub with the K 10s and the RCF are better in my opinion.

As for the K12 not as sweet but more bottom end so cope better if not buying a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by TONYTIGER View Post
    Hi Mike,hope you had a good Christmas as for the K series the 10 is the nicest sound if you can get them up nice and high they will cope quite easy with 200 people what you wont get is trouser flapping bass saying that they have a deep switch that adds extra bass but it is more of a clean hi fi sound.
    great for weddings but no good for a Drum & Bass gig.

If your thinking of getting the QSC sub or a pair then the 10 is the best to go with it ,the QSC subs are ok but you can use any active sub with the K 10s and the RCF are better in my opinion.

As for the K12 not as sweet but more bottom end so cope better if not buying a sub.
    Thanks for the info Tony. The problem I have is that I am not sure how soon I would be buying the subs after buying the tops, it could be possibly up to a year after that and I would would want to know that what I was buying could cope with all events. That is why I was thinking possibly the K12s??
    Decisions Decisions, but it's all good fun