Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: gypsy wedding

Quote Originally Posted by tgosoundandlight View Post
    i did a gypsy wedding a few weeks ago it was the worse thing i have ever done first thing was i was asked to turn up at 4 for a 7 start by half 4 i was asked to play back ground music while i setup my lights for the staff then 5 mins later the guests started coming in so i finshed rigging the light i was at the time and went behind my setup then at 5.10 i was asked to turn the music up by the venue manager at about 6 they wanted to do the dances at a gypsy wedding there alot of dances (bride and groom, bride and her father, bride and her mother, groom and brides mother, bride and best man, groom and head bridesmaid). and then it came to the disco and if the bride did not like a song she asked for it to be changed that second and if i didnt i was threatend by one of the gypsy's then the groom came up asking me to do an announcement asking him and the best men to dance to the ymca so i thought it would ok then the best men didnt like it so i had him threaten me i comlain to the venue manager cause i wanted to pack up and walk out he offered me doudle money to stay so i did well in the end i had had enough of all the rubbish i was about to pack up at about half 8 when the venue manager came up to me and said that the bride and groom had gone and i was to play one more track and then they were going to empty the venue the venue staff were annoyed and were ready to call it a night.

the guests had smashed about 30 plates and some glasses threw rubbish all over the floors and stamped food into the carpet and had made a great mess in the toilets including smoking weed and doing all kind of drugs in there im really surprised they didnt call the police but the family had paid £5000 for the venue for the whole day when they usually charge £3000 the venue manager wasnt really bothered about the amount of work they had to get the place ready for another event i was doing live sound for in the morning.

if im ever asked to this kind of event again i dont think i will if there like this with no alcohol i would hate to see them with it. but since this event the clients have complained to the venue about the rubbish disco with the dj changing track half way through clearing the dance floor (as asked to do by the bride) and doing stupid announcements all through the night (as asked to do by various people from the wedding party) this has caused me no problems with the venue as i have been working there since 2004, but it has caused me to have a bad name with prospective clients.

has anyone else had any troubles like this before?

thanks for reading tom
    I've only done one and it sounds like a mirror image of yours.
    A bit more descriptive about the mess in the toilets...some have not worked out what the sit down toilets were invented to capture.

It finished with the customary scrap.....but this was like a Western....with everyone involved .....and smashing chairs over each other....

You can get an awful lot of money for doing these.....but don't PLEASE.You and your equipment are at risk......

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I did say I was Dyslexic - and a bit thick sometimes.
    Sometimes?

i got double what i quoted the venue which was good. the venue is also paying to have my imove repaired that one of the kids decided to use as a follow spot while i was busy talking to the groom.

im just glad i didnt have time to get all my lights out cause i was going to uplight around the venue aswell which i didnt have time to do it is a big risk doing one of these events and im not taking it again.

all the work we do is experiance wether its bad or good.

Quote Originally Posted by tgosoundandlight View Post
    i got double what i quoted the venue
    I would do it again at that price - just get someone else to DJ for you with their equipment
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

We ha exactly the same experience very early on and it was horrible! People throwing food, kids tryin to touch all our equipment and women trying to take the mic to sing karaoke.

We ended up packing up early and getting out as quickly as possible! Definaely the worst event of our Dj careers so far!

Only thing is the woman didnt sound like a gypsy on the phone or through other contact.
    ATR The X-Faders | Mobile DJ's in Essex
    Billericay & Surrounding Areas
    http://www.thexfadersdj.co.uk | Facebook | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by thex-faders View Post
    We ha exactly the same experience very early on and it was horrible! People throwing food, kids tryin to touch all our equipment and women trying to take the mic to sing karaoke.

We ended up packing up early and getting out as quickly as possible! Definaely the worst event of our Dj careers so far!

Only thing is the woman didnt sound like a gypsy on the phone or through other contact.
    I had one like that. A house party.

The girl was lovely but they all started to have a mass brawl and then started on me.
    Im in a cul de sac in a very dodgy area with all my equipment and loads of drunk violent idiots.

Never again. Got out alive. They would have killed me otherwise i think as i am an outsider.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I've done a gypo wedding - I found them very hard work and very demanding but I'd worked in a few clubs they would frequent so I knew what to expect . Gotta love the shadow boxing as the guys jump about with shirts off and vests on.

Keep the woman happy and the guys will try n pull.

It's traditional for the guys to all sit together and get hammered and sane for women. To be honest it was hard work , the paid in full upfront in cash no problems that way .just dealing with them on the night was a pain .

I used to be dyslexic , but I'm KO now.
    As for my grammar , well she passed away when I was very young.

And as for travellers , never again , not even if they paid me four times my fee .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] www.sounds2go.co.uk
    Pen behind the ear ...

...You have to laugh it off, right?

Sounds like an interesting/scary evening but you handled it well! I'm not sure how I would of coped in that situation. May sound daft, but I'm the type of guy who is open to abuse based on appearance.

I'm not sure I'd have taken the booking - probably would have and not realised what I'd let myself in for until the night!

Any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie brown View Post
    May sound daft, but I'm the type of guy who is open to abuse based on appearance.
    It's too easy!!!