Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: gypsy wedding

We did a gypsy wedding in June this year, approx 200 people, our side of the job went perfect, no complaints, no threats etc, all had a great time, we got tipped £50 from father of the bride and offered food and drink.. however the hotel was counting the cost, young kids been dragged around the dancefloor on the table cloths, women on table 4 throwing glasses to table 6 which all smashed, 1 guy ended up with a toilet seat around his neck parading around with nothing on except his left sock!, interesting night indeed...

i will add pics when i find my camera ive just moved house so everything is all over.

a toilet seat around his neck parading around with nothing on except his left sock
    Sure I've seen this look paraded up and down a catwalk at a Paris fashion show

Big difference between Gipsies and Travellers in the West Country the word didecoys comes to mind ,i have had some very good Gipsy weddings.

I haven't worked with gypsys as a DJ, but did so as a hotelier. I was General Manager at the New England Hotel in Boston, Lincs, and we often had requests to provide functions to gypsys. As has been stated, they pay very well, but destroy the place.

We started off not knowing this, and learnt the hard way. By the time the third function came round, we'd quadrupled the price, had everything paid in advance and used plastic glasses for everything. We stopped doing them after the fourth wedding, which turned into a real battle - even the doorstaff we'd employed retreated. The first time I've ever seen police in riot gear in a hotel function room doing their thang!

Long and short of it, unless the money is enough for me to completely replace my rig, and potentially compensate me for a fractured skull, I'm not interested.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

lets hope people don't read it as Jonathan Ford's Travellers Disco then

This might sound stupid and forgive me for my ignorance if it does, but how would you know the client is a gypsy beforehand? Just so I can nip it in the bud should the occasion arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    This might sound stupid and forgive me for my ignorance if it does, but how would you know the client is a gypsy beforehand? Just so I can nip it in the bud should the occasion arise.
    Erm well, a very fast speaking irish accent, lots of kids in the background, short notice, mid week, pre event requests for r&b and rock and roll, no landline number. Whoops is that generalising lol
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Megamix View Post
    lets hope people don't read it as Jonathan Ford's Travellers Disco then
    Ha! Good point! Perhaps I'll have to put some flashing lights around the text!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    In my experience, again with hotels, not DJing, they're generally pretty honest about it, and often understand that they'll have to pay a premium for the havoc that often ensues. Having said that, this experience does date back to the mid-90's.
    Jonathan Ford's Travelling Discotheque http://www.jftd.co.uk/
    Thoughtful mobile disco entertainment across the Midlands

Sounds a nightmare, to be honest I have never done a gypsy wedding thank god, but how do you guys actually know if it is a gypsy wedding or not, does the hotel C&B chap give you a heads up?