Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can someone explain (Cortex and Laptop differences)

Default can someone explain (Cortex and Laptop differences)

ok if you have read my newbie post you will see i am starting over again and this time digital,i have read untold posts from the forums and have seen so much talk of using a usb device such as a Cortex HDC,could some kind person please explain to me the advantage of this over just using laptop and external powered drive,i.e do i still need the laptop (going to be using pcdjvj),basically really need to know how these work,i have been to all the sites that sell them but the description only tells you that you can plug a usb drive into them,how do you find the songs you want etc etc,and please please answers only in laymans terms.I have the chance of buying a new Cortex HDC1000 for £180 is this also good.Do i really need one????????

and would this in the for sale section(if still for sale) do the same job??? http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ad.php?t=30120

Hi Hammy,

Both laptops (with DJ Software installed) and digital media players do the same thing (i.e play digital music files from a USB hard drive). The difference is the digital media player (such as a cortex) is built specifically for the job. To search for files using the cortex you can plug in a usb keyboard via a usb hub. It's really that simple.

I really couldn't say which is better as different people prefer different things. Perhaps a trip to a DJ equipment retailer would be a good idea so you can see the different options and have a play about. Or perhaps one of the forum members local to you can invite you along for a little demo.

cheers shaun,so basically with the cortex i wont need the laptop???

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    That's correct. You will however need a device to store your music on, such as a USB Hard Drive. You'll also need a powered USB HUB, and a USB keyboard. The Cortex will then just hook into your mixer via RCA Phono cables.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    no you won't need a laptop to run the cortex, before you buy a cortex go and have a play with one if possible, also what backup will you be using

my back up will be the mini itx(mini pc) i made,

You'll also need a powered USB HUB
    I disagree i have been using the cortex since it come out. and as it has 2 USB interfaces (shared unfortuantly_ just stick your usb harrdrive/memstick/storage device in teh back one and teh usb keyboard in the front.

theres only one annoying fact with the cortex (and seen it happen on dennon & newmark) when using harddrive when one side is playing if you use th einbuild browser the playing side pauses. Not had this issue since i starte dto use teh keyboard as you tend to type in artist or song title. this clitch does not show up if using a mem stick (now availble upto 1 gig and soon beyound) or other non moving internal storage devices.

I now have 2 cortexs and always happy to demo them and will never get rid of em.

only thing is take your time with the mp3 tags ! make sure they are correct

mine are tagged in 4 ways

band, type of music, song title (with band and year) and year.

easy to use - dont know of anyone who actually read teh manual - u can cue behind playing tracks.

I do use a laptop but it is purely a database thing that my roadie will look to see if we have any requests and were they are cd or digital. Also have been known to buy mp3's at gigs for important requests
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

You'll also need a powered USB HUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    I disagree i have been using the cortex since it come out.
    I don't use a powered hub either. I thought I would err on the side of caution as so many of our members have run into issues with unpowered hubs.

I don't use a powered hub either. I thought I would err on the side of caution as so many of our members have run into issues with unpowered hubs.
    Shaun i think we at cross swords here - im saying there already 2 ports so no need for a hub at all.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/