Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: can someone explain (Cortex and Laptop differences)

Ah, apologies. I misread your post.

Correct. The Cortex has two USB inputs. One on the front and one on the rear.

Still, my preference would be to use a hub and keep all connections via the back, just because I wouldn't want wires dangling around the front.

ok Shuan -- my keyboard cable is routed via convient hooks that i inserted into my flight case when i made it

I just like to keep things simple
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Hi Hammy,

I really couldn't say which is better as different people prefer different things. Perhaps a trip to a DJ equipment retailer would be a good idea so you can see the different options and have a play about. Or perhaps one of the forum members local to you can invite you along for a little demo.
    Six and two threes. Both do the same job,just in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    cheers shaun,so basically with the cortex i wont need the laptop???
    Correct.But I use Cortex and laptop. Belt and braces.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    I disagree i have been using the cortex since it come out. and as it has 2 USB interfaces (shared unfortuantly_ just stick your usb harrdrive/memstick/storage device in teh back one and teh usb keyboard in the front.

theres only one annoying fact with the cortex (and seen it happen on dennon & newmark) when using harddrive when one side is playing if you use th einbuild browser the playing side pauses. Not had this issue since i starte dto use teh keyboard as you tend to type in artist or song title. this clitch does not show up if using a mem stick (now availble upto 1 gig and soon beyound) or other non moving internal storage devices.
    Creature and Shaun, I disagree. Powered hub is essential. Powered hard drive and keyboard feed off the back socket from the hub, leaving the front one free for a USB stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Shaun i think we at cross swords here - im saying there already 2 ports so no need for a hub at all.
    Panto time. " Oh yes there is. " Power everything, use Belkin hubs, and you'll have no problems at all.

The hiccup on searching only occurs if you're using file browser, as far as I know.

Hammy, we're only scratching the surface here, we'll post more later.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Right, let's see if we can shed some light.

If you expect to use a laptop for DJ'ing, it is ( apparently ) vital to strip it of everything not needed for playing mp3's. In effect, you are changing its purpose in life from being a multi purpose piece of kit, into a dedicated one. That's fine if you don't want to use it for surfing the web, writing documents, playing games etc. If you want to still be able to do all these things, and use it as a main playout, basically you're stuffed.

Cortex/Numark/Denon do only one thing, and that's play mp3's. You will however need a laptop or desktop to create mp3's, so why not have the best of both worlds?

HDC as main playout, with laptop or rackmount as backup/download capability.

that settles it then hdc it is

that settles it then hdc it is
    And get a dongle for the rack mount, use it as backup, and you're sorted. As soon as you've found three wise men near you, with Cortex, Numark and Denon. I'd strongly urge you to find these three, offer to roadie for them, and when they turn their backs, have a firkle round with the kit.

Each controller operates in a different way, and while using one may seem totally obvious to you, another's mode of operation may be foreign. Try before you buy.

Each controller operates in a different way, and while using one may seem totally obvious to you, another's mode of operation may be foreign. Try before you buy.
    agree 100% Excalibur - shame he not closer to me as more than happy to demo for him - well the cortex anyway.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

invalubale info from you guys, i guess if i get the cortex and have a little play with it im sure i will get to love it will keep you updated

invalubale info from you guys, i guess if i get the cortex and have a little play with it im sure i will get to love it will keep you updated
    I'd definitely recommend having a demo first, if possible.

That's the problem. You will love it, but if you ever decide to "upgrade" to Numark or Denon, you'll have to unlearn using the Cortex.

Anybody on here near enough to Eastbourne to demo their controller of choice?