Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Strangest Location/Venue You've Ever DJ'd?

Quote Originally Posted by funksoulbrother View Post
    I've done several gigs at London's Regents Park Zoo,
    Me too
    Piccadilly Tube station main ticket area for Capital Radio's "Help a London Child" fundraising back in the late 80's with hip-hop DJ Tim Westwood
    When was that then? I worked there in the late 80s.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Steve, it must have been about 1985/6 as far as I can remember, not a bad day, I remember trying to get the gear in was a nightmare, having to try to park the van and trolley the rig down. B y massive bass bins, amps and console with Matamp mixer and 3 1200's. I was lucky though as, I had to get away early, before we broke the rig down, to get to another evening gig with bags of Capital Radio freebies and a whole load of WEA promo records, courtesy of Fred Dove the WEA A & R man.
    Richard
    Phoenix Entertainments

I think mine aren’t that strange compared to some of yours but some of the ones that stick out are a fire place and a very small round beach hut.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing.
    It was here first.

Steve, it must have been about 1985/6 as far as I can remember, not a bad day, I remember trying to get the gear in was a nightmare, having to try to park the van and trolley the rig down. B y massive bass bins, amps and console with Matamp mixer and 3 1200's. I was lucky though as, I had to get away early, before we broke the rig down, to get to another evening gig with bags of Capital Radio freebies and a whole load of WEA promo records, courtesy of Fred Dove the WEA A & R man.
    Must've been a complete pain. How did you get the gear from street level to the concourse?
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Sack barrow to the stairs then all carried down by hand, then set up between two of the stairs with portable barriers between the equipment and the public. If I remember rightly, it was a 3Kw rig, well over the top of what was needed, but Mr. Westwood had insisted on it to Capital.

We had also supplied another rig the same day near Notting Hill/Ladbroke Grove, for their Reggae DJ, at the time. Can't remember his name, but one of the nicest guys you would ever meet, wish I'd stayed there, as there was less ego/attitude!
    Richard
    Phoenix Entertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Totally forgot but I've also DJ'd at Marwell Zoo too.
    snip
    We had a V.I.P. tour (part of their wedding package) and had photos taken with the monkeys and giraffes.
    Oh there's some fun to be had tagging those pictures on Facebook

Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Sack barrow to the stairs then all carried down by hand, then set up between two of the stairs with portable barriers between the equipment and the public. If I remember rightly, it was a 3Kw rig, well over the top of what was needed, but Mr. Westwood had insisted on it to Capital.

We had also supplied another rig the same day near Notting Hill/Ladbroke Grove, for their Reggae DJ, at the time. Can't remember his name, but one of the nicest guys you would ever meet, wish I'd stayed there, as there was less ego/attitude!
    Nobody told you to use the lift in the Trocadero then

25 years on, now I'm told that there was a lift, a lot of the London Underground staff weren't exactly friendly towards us. They were probably p g themselves laughing at us struggling with all the gear.

I knew there was a good reason why I didn't like using the Underground!!!!!!
    Richard
    Phoenix Entertainments

Well it's not really a strange place, but my kitchen was a kind of unusal place for gig I suppose, alebit a mini gig lol. I used to have 8K of Peavey and JBL in there, my next door neighbour used to bang doors, be aggressive and constantly scream and stuff before I even ever had my sound system on. So in the end I njust thought "ok, if she wants to make noise, I can too" and so I hooked my sound system up and we had full blown parties in there. I'm talking fog machine, 8,000 watts of sound system full blast, dmx scanners, the works, and all my mates used to come round for a party, lights off, scanners and fog machine on, sound system on full, it was great.

I even had people come round who I didn't even know, and one time we had 15-20 people in my kitchen dancing, we went from about 8pm-4am every saturday night. So...I guess in a way you could call it the strangest venue I ever did parties at.
    Last edited by Shaun; 21-05-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Removed drugs reference

Sounds a little immature if I'm honest.... although I've done a fair few of them myself in my younger days