Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: stressed bride

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Unless told in advance I won't let anybody "hook" into my system, whether it be a band or another act with a CD. I'd just tell them that I'm digital and don't have the facility to play CD's.

It may sound harsh but it's not my problem. I'm their to fulfil my contractual obligations and nobody Else's. Looking at the experiences from other in this thread I'm so thankful I have (and follow through) with this policy.
    Jobsworth? Only obeying orders?

I understand the concept, but I happen to disagree with it, with the proviso that access to the stacks of Class D's is a privelege, not a right.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I understand the concept, but I happen to disagree with it,

I'm not going to comment until Shaun has clarified. In dire straits, he may well step in and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    So, you're at a wedding and the bride and groom have paid for this act. You're the only one who can play the tracks. Would you seriously refuse?
    Absolutely! The bride and groom have no way of knowing whether I can play CD's or not. I've had enough problems over the years of people handing me CD's that skip and jump to not take the chance anymore.

So would I refuse? Well, I wouldn't say "I refuse". I'd say I don't have the facility to play CD media, but had I been informed prior I could have facilitated their request. Problem solved. And I wouldn't think twice about it. At the end of the day the only person that would look bad is that act that arrived without the means to provide the entertainment he was booked for.

i have had these situations a bit recently.

When i get handed a CD on the day with a change of plan my brain immediately says check check and check again.
    A first dance is vital to the bride and groom and most of the crowd.
    If that is screwed up you will never get the respect from the bride and groom and the crowd for the whole night.

It is irrelevant if its your fault or not. It is annoying when you get the blame for someone elses up however.
    If there is going to be a risk of failure I would not agree to it in the first place and explain why.

I did this once when I had a laptop break on me. Not funny.
    Now I always:

- always download a hard copy on the laptop.
    - check that the tracks are correct with the bride (or in this case the groom).
    - check timings and give warnings to the crowd.
    - coordinate when and what and where so everyone who needs to know knows.

The main thing is when I do an entrance and a group of divs stand in the doorway

perfect example of bad planning on Sat.
    I had thrown up twice and set up anyway trying to smile and look normal.
    I was not in my normal super efficient manner.

basically the girls mum wanted to bring out a cake and then sing happy birthday.
    The owner (on the other side of the room out of view in the kitchen) thought it was the other way round so they were left standing there like lemons for a few mins.

Had i been more with it i would had planned it with them and worked out what when and where as i do at every other event.

Worked out ok in the end and they did not seem to notice either
    Last edited by yourdj; 11-01-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Jobsworth? Only obeying orders?

I understand the concept, but I happen to disagree with it, with the proviso that access to the stacks of Class D's is a privelege, not a right.
    I know of a few DJ's that use digital media players and don't have the provision at all to play CD's. What would they do in that circumstance?

Should we plan ahead for all possibilities and situations where other entertainers might need to hook into our system? I think not. I'm sorted for any situation I might find myself in...not others.
    Last edited by Shaun; 11-01-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Each to their own.

I'm flexible, easy going and want to please & help where possible. I think a positive 'can do' attitude is essential. Folk would really appreciate you going the extra mile and playing that CD instead of potentially ruining their evening and wasting their cash.

It's human error. Brides can't think/worry about everything. I doubt 'how will the act play his CD' ever crossed her mind.

Each to their own.

I'm flexible, easy going and want to please & help where possible. I think a positive 'can do' attitude is essential.
    So you think I don't have a "positive can do attitude"? How little you know me. Anyone that knows me knows how helpful I am and can be. I will not however have people 'presume'!

If there's another act that may want to hook into my system then tell me in advance so I can discuss the arrangements with them one to one. Springing it on me at the last minute won't get you anywhere.

It's human error. Brides can't think/worry about everything. I doubt 'how will the act play his CD' ever crossed her mind.
    Maybe not, but the act should be aware that there may not be the facility. There's no excuse.

I completely stand by my working practice in this situation and I make no apologies for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Entertainment View Post
    I had it once with a drag act.

They gave me a CD with track listing and detailed notes of which track to play and when. All well and good...but the CD tracks didnt correspond with the listing.

First wrong track comes on and the act makes a joke and takes the mick...until I pick up the microphone and give as good as I got
    Amen brother!

I now refuse to play any external media from "punters" and will only consider it if the bride asks in which case I would explain pitfalls.

I'm not having some dodgy media ruining my show and it appearing to be a mistake on my part when I've put all the blood, sweat and tears into building my company up to where it is today.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Maybe not, but the act should be aware that there may not be the facility. There's no excuse.
    I know. I would scare them a little and stress they should have told me beforehand. This should educate them.

I wouldn't dream of lying and send the act packing.

This has really surprised me TBH.

Each to their own.
    Have you ever ruined a first dance?

Its not a nice feeling.

Im with Shaun.
    I can see if something just wont work but things will always come and bite you if something is not planned properly.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/