Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another produb ish post

Default Another produb ish post

Hi as per my welcome post im new to all this,

In a bit of a quandary regarding produb as im fresh out the box, money to buy a produb license is scarce, i wish to have a legal collection of music but dont want to pay £100-0000's of pounds, i was planning on playing from laptop but too build my collection up was considering buying second hand cd's from carboots & charity shops. In the short term am i best do just play cd's and invest in double cd deck or just go with the produb license and convert the tracks over.

Thanks

Use CDs, rip your collection as you go but don't use it for DJing.

When you've earned a few quid from DJing and finished your ripping, then buy the Produb.

I would say that it really depends on how much you are thinking of investing in the CD player, and whether you would be continuing to use CDs as your long-term back up, or whether you intend to go completely digital long-term.

If the latter, then wouldn't the investment in the cd players now be a false economy and money down the drain?

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Look at it like this -

Produb is 5p per track (assuming you'll build up a collection of 5000 tracks)

Your alternative is buying all your music online and avoiding any ripping - most tracks are say 69p per track.

So as long as you keep below 64p per track when you buy your CDs, you'll be quids in. Compliations with 101 tracks are about £10 new, which is under 10p a track, so not really hard
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Have you a budget you are working to? If we knew what your maximum spend was it might help with suggestions for what options you have. What other gear are you needing to get as well, mixer, speakers, amps, lights, stands etc?

Without knowing your budget, I'm agreeing with the CD decks now option, there's very good kit available for not much money. You could be up and running very quickly (if you have everything else you need already), then when you do go digital with ProDub you also have the CD's as back-up.

To be honest think im going to go with the produb license and have cd as the back up, is there any problem if the cd's are second from carboot etc.

None - other than the possible issue of getting receipts for accounting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by marting View Post
    To be honest think im going to go with the produb license and have cd as the back up, is there any problem if the cd's are second from carboot etc.
    Receipts (as mentioned), Condition and Legitimacy. Car boots are a popular outlet for counterfeit and stolen goods, but if you keep your wits about you remember that if it's too good to be true then it probably isn't, you should be OK.

Good point about the legitimacy, Martin.... I was only thinking about 'real' car boot stalls.... not all the flipping 'traders' (in the loosest possible sense) that invade them!

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Good point about the legitimacy, Martin....!
    Well this is the point i have a very extensive private music collection all catalogued all in mp3 format and will be honest and say mostly downloaded, via file sharing sites i have purchased all my lighting and speakers kit. i dont want to be the guy who gets a visit and gets fined for using illegal music,
    if i use cds got to buy them and something to play them on or convert to mp3 and buy a produb.....