Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Spelling, grammar and in particular... 'Text speak'

Exclamation Spelling, grammar and in particular... 'Text speak'

We have had a few issues recently where particular members feel that they should not have to comply with the forum rules regarding 'text speak'.

The relevant forum rule (which every member agrees to adhere to when they sign up to the forum) is:-
    23. All communication should be in the English language and text language should not be used.

The MDD is a professional forum for professionals in our industry, as such, please try to communicate on the forum using the correct grammar and punctuation. We ask that you make a concise effort to make your posts as easy to read as possible. Please use a spell checker if necessary.
    The argument has been made on several occasions that language develops and that 'text speak' should now be considered acceptable.

However, this forum is, in effect, a professional business forum, and text speak is certainly NOT acceptable in business communications.

We do accept that many people do have problems with spelling and grammar (and everyone makes mistakes from time to time), but what we require is that people make an effort: after all, the more you practice something, the easier it becomes and the English language is no different. If people become accustomed to writing clearly on the forum, then their business communications can only benefit from that.

Running a mobile DJ business requires people to acquire a lot of skills over and above that of Djing, and we try to address ALL aspects of the business on this forum in the best way we can.

In addition, the purpose of any forum is to communicate; which means that everyone needs to be able to easily understand each post; which means that each of us has an obligation to our fellow members to communicate in the best English that we can manage.

To assist, make sure you have a spell-checker and use it! Whether it's used to help with poor spelling, a slip of the keyboard, or a lapse in concentration by reverting to 'text speak', I doubt that there's anyone who wouldn't benefit from that.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Danno13; 20-01-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: missed out a "to"

Just to reinforce the above post and show that we're not alone in our way of thinking, I was reading one of the newsletters I receive this morning which was all about successful marketing of your business on Twitter, and the newsletters are written by people who are considered very knowledgeable in their respective fields.

Now, as many of you will know, 'tweets' are limited to 140 characters so need to be concise. This is a similar scenario to why 'text speak' originated in the first place, so you may think that 'text speak' would be a great way to get more information in to your tweets..... not according to the experts!

Extract:-

Tip 2: Watch how you write

Some people write well, others don't - that's true in all areas of life, not just on Twitter. You don't need to be a bestselling novelist to use Twitter, but it helps if you have basic literacy skills (and if you use Twitter at the website instead of through a client, your Tweets will be spellchecked as you type anyway - which helps).

However good (or bad) your writing skills are, with Twitter's 140-character limit you'll need to be creative with your Tweets. Your Tweets need to be concise yet informative, and often you'll be trying to squeeze in a URL too (URL shortening services like bit.ly and tinyurl.com are lifesavers).

One definite don't is using text speak. Text speak is fine if you're 13, but as a professional adult promoting your business you're just going to look silly, and won't communicate your messages efficiently - unless you're targeting 13 year olds.
    I just thought it was rather apt that I happened to read this this morning, and thought I'd share.