Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REVOLUTIONS - New to the game

Hi welcome to the mdd (more didgeridoo donkeys) :teeth:
    DJ's DON'T SHARE NEEDLES

Quote Originally Posted by dj andy allwood
    Hi welcome to the mdd (more didgeridoo donkeys) :teeth:
    You could be scraping the barrel there a bit now Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONS
    Hi all

Many Thanks for the warm welcome you have shown me so far.

I'm setting up my new business over the next couple of months and would very much appreciate your feedback on my questions (I'm likely to have many).

I plan on initially setting the business up on a part time basis as I can't afford to take the risk of leaving my job at this stage. I'll see how I get on and put the market to test!

I really want to differentiate myself by using only the best equipment and providing the party organiser with the best service before and during the event.

I'd really appreciate your honest feedback.

What is the market like at the moment and how much do you all charge for a medium sized party (150-250 people)?

Best Regards

Adrian

Mmmm, back on topic, seemed to have strayed a little guys!

There are a huge range of thoughts and advice that we can all give you, so this is mine - just remember that this and everyone elses is simple that, our own advice, none of us are right or wrong, we simply believe our own opinions!

Firstly, what's the market like? I would probably dissagree with one of the earlier comments. Although it may well vary from area to area and you will find many DJ's on here complaining that the market is saturated and there is a ceiling price above which you may struggle, I think in reality, it actually not like that. What is important is how you market yourself and what work you want to achieve. Although I am not achieveing it all the time, I believe that it is quite possible to charge anything from £100 right up to well over £1000 almost anywhere in the UK. It really depends on what you want. If you are quite happy to do three local pubs every week, then don't expect to get the £200 + fees. But also, if you are marketing yourself at the clients who would book a £200 room a night hotel, you need to offer them something that will attract there money, but they won't be paying peanuts!

The difficult part of all of of this is how and what to do when you're completely new. I have been through the "established disco moved to a new area" bit twice in the last 5 years and it is a stuggle. You may want to consider promotional offers in the first year to get your name known. After all, I don't think many of us would dissagree that the money comes with reputation. You may be the next Pete Tong, but unless people know that and have seen what you do, you could be a tea boy for the local radio for all they care. Market yourself in the right way, offer the perks to the clients who do want to trust you and make sure you do a **** fine job when you get to the gigs. That will get you the work!

Finally the gear. I am probably a very very bad example with gear. I love it. I am a slave to the DMX light and the laser. I have Denon as my god and I will waste more money that a drunk man on more and more gear. However, the bottom line her is that there are only certain things that your clients will ever apreciate and be interested in. That is a very sweeping statement and of course, if you choose to push big corporate work with particular high profile clients then things will probably be different, but otherwise.... I would suggest that sound quality is your key. Lets take it as read that you can entertain and know exactly how to make a party a fantastic night. If you do that will ear shattering booming bass, or the tracks are distorted, then it really won't matter at all. I would suggest that sound is where you need to spend your money. The previous comments are absolutely right, you don't need to to spend £4k on sound gear, but be careful what you do spend. The flip side of that is lighting. IMHO, your clients will generally see no difference if you turned up with a full Martin DMX moving head rig or a couple of rope lights and a fuz light (a little extreme I know). Lighting is just not an issue for many of my clients. It is for me and i love it, but not for them! Save your money, make sure your lighting is reliable, neat and has a good room coverage and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    You could be scraping the barrel there a bit now Andy!
    yeah i know im starting to struggle lol

too many newbies lol
    DJ's DON'T SHARE NEEDLES

Welcome aboard, Adrian.
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.