Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripping down your playout laptop....

You say keep your mac comments to yourself, but have you not thought about the advantages? Is there a genuine reason you don't want to use one?

My laptop runs windows 7, ive turned off all the windows extras but do have anti virus running.

If the venue has a wifi connection ive seen me checking emails while background music is playing, never had any problems.

If your machine is powerful and you dont go over the top, i dont see any harm in running a couple of programs at once.
    Dave
    DSF Mobile Discos
    www.dsfdiscos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    You say keep your mac comments to yourself, but have you not thought about the advantages? Is there a genuine reason you don't want to use one?
    If you compare like-for-like, such as having a nice clean install and disabling wireless etc as suggested, there aren't necessarily any real advantages.
    BTW I am what you would call an 'IT professional' and use both at work.

I use a playout laptop that's around 6-7years old, running XP that's absolutely rock solid, doesn't miss a beat. There would be absolutely no advantage whatsoever in any way shape or form in me using a Mac.

I get ing annoyed with the Mac brigade spouting 'get a Mac cos it's better'.
    Macs can be better for some people and in some circumstances, but in others they are utter rubbish.

May aswell be saying 'Get a Merc instaed of a BMW cos it's better'
    NO! It's an alternative!
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by sleah View Post
    If you compare like-for-like, such as having a nice clean install and disabling wireless etc as suggested, there aren't necessarily any real advantages.
    BTW I am what you would call an 'IT professional' and use both at work.

I use a playout laptop that's around 6-7years old, running XP that's absolutely rock solid, doesn't miss a beat. There would be absolutely no advantage whatsoever in any way shape or form in me using a Mac.

I get ing annoyed with the Mac brigade spouting 'get a Mac cos it's better'.
    Macs can be better for some people and in some circumstances, but in others they are utter rubbish.

May aswell be saying 'Get a Merc instaed of a BMW cos it's better'
    NO! It's an alternative!
    Fair point, I know they're not for everyone.

In what way are they rubbish?

guys this isnt a mac vs windows discussion so please take it somewhere else.

Mark has stated clearly in the OP he isnt interested in the mac so not sure why people feel the need to bring that up in this thread.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Also , if you use torrents or NZB stuff you could consider getting a striped down version of your operating system and use it with your existing COA.
    Just a thought - and it's not illegal either (before you start having a go (LOL)....)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] www.sounds2go.co.uk
    Pen behind the ear ...

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Come Spring,I may have need of this. The lease expires on my Laptop, and I may rebuild it as a gig machine, and get a new one for all other things.
    Well blow me down, I've done exactly that. That's the relatively easy bit. Relatively easy, cos it involved three trips to the store, two abortive attempts, and took over two hours to achieve what I wanted.

Right Jim, here's your mission, should you choose to accept it.

I don't want to go for a clean install, because I haven't made a restore disc ( I possibly could even at this late date, I don't know. ) If I were to do that, I'd probably change the HD for a bigger one, (cos I've only got 160Gb at the moment) and the costs would just start escalating.

All I wish to do is remove as much clutter as possible, to give my music player software a fighting chance. What can I /should I remove? What should I disable? ( Auto update springs straight to mind, along with the wifi adaptor. )

Many thanks in advance for your help, chaps and chapesses.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well blow me down, I've done exactly that. That's the relatively easy bit. Relatively easy, cos it involved three trips to the store, two abortive attempts, and took over two hours to achieve what I wanted.

Right Jim, here's your mission, should you choose to accept it.

I don't want to go for a clean install, because I haven't made a restore disc ( I possibly could even at this late date, I don't know. ) If I were to do that, I'd probably change the HD for a bigger one, (cos I've only got 160Gb at the moment) and the costs would just start escalating.

All I wish to do is remove as much clutter as possible, to give my music player software a fighting chance. What can I /should I remove? What should I disable? ( Auto update springs straight to mind, along with the wifi adaptor. )

Many thanks in advance for your help, chaps and chapesses.
    What OS Peter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    What OS Peter?
    Sorry, should have said. I was hoping you'd turn up, because it's same as you, Vista Home Premium. ( Though what's premium compared to the desktop, which is on standard, I have no idea. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Sorry, should have said. I was hoping you'd turn up, because it's same as you, Vista Home Premium. ( Though what's premium compared to the desktop, which is on standard, I have no idea. )
    http://www.blackviper.com/category/g...windows-vista/