Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Vs Windows

Default Mac Vs Windows

(Please move if in the wrong place )

What do you guys use?
    Why do you use what you use?
    What do YOU think are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

I know people have said "Macs are rubbish in some circumstances"

I'd be interested in examples of this.

Discuss

These days, there isn't much to pick between them, as they are both considered standard platforms to support in terms of software and web development.

Plus you've left out Unix-based systems....

this will be interesting

Walk around BPM and count the DJ's not using macs (apart from alex on his stand )

I have not yet met anyone who has properly moved from windows to mac who has gone back.
    Met lots of people who have never used it saying how rubbish it is

2 macbooks, soon to have an iphone and ipad. Very happy no issues at all.
    Its the virus thing that is the biggest issue. instead of paying to fix their
    problem they are charging the client and probably creating the viruses themselves?

Seems a bit silly.

I do have a windows netbook however.
    Last edited by yourdj; 29-01-2011 at 05:59 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

People who say Windows are better, have not used Macs enough time to understand them properly. It's simple.

I don't even think its an opinion thing any more, Macs are more powerful, more reliable, more capability. Faster (especially the new airs) 100% idle rather than windows 50%

OS and Hardware designed by same company, so the software doesn't have to be made to support hundreds of manufactures hardware.

It's a no brainer. The only disadvantage is price, but then. You get what you pay for

EDIT: I have 2 windows laptops, and a MacbookPro and an iMac. Let's just say the windows laptops need a good dust

I use a windows based laptop for DJing, but use my MacBook Pro for most of my day-to-day computing.
    They just work - It's as simple as that for me.

My MacBook Pro is a little over 2 years old (the first unibody model) and it's equally as fast, if not faster than when I bought it due to software refinements made by Apple.

My Equally spec'd PC (2.4GHz 64-bit Dual-core, 4GB RAM) gets slower and slower by the day, it's not bad once it gets going but booting is a laborious process now - might be time for a format...

Positives of macs - simple, quick, does everything I need.
    Downside of macs - price could be one factor, but the fact mines lasted over two years, I consider it a worthwhile investment.

Positives of PCs - "everyone knows how to use one" more applications available, New technology arrives quicker (no blu-ray for mac...yet), cheap?!
    Negatives - Viruses, Spyware, Malware, etc, BSOD, drivers, get slower over time

I've had my Windows XP system running 24/7 for weeks, never switched off, with hundreds of applications and games being run, installed, uninstalled etc over that period. Not a single issue.

That said, I am PC 'savvy', so I know how to avoid the usual pitfalls associated with them (viruses etc).

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I have not yet met anyone who has properly moved from windows to mac who has gone back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    People who say Windows are better, have not used Macs enough time to understand them properly. It's simple.
    i do not mind windows but I would not use it professionally. I would have got a macbook air for back up but could not afford one

Simple things like the standby mode on my mac means I can boot up in seconds and be ready to perform and vice versa.
    i can close the mac whilst operating and go home for a cup of tea

It also black and looks (well i think so anyway)

Last edited by yourdj; 29-01-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    I've had my Windows XP system running 24/7 for weeks, never switched off, with hundreds of applications and games being run, installed, uninstalled etc over that period.
    That doesn't sound healthy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    That doesn't sound healthy!!
    Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Why not?
    I imagine running constantly for that long isn't good.

Shutting down just has a nice clean up of everything, deletes a lot of temporary files etc.

It's just better practice, also I don't know if it's a laptop. But if it is, you'll be killing your battery without it doing proper "Cycles".

Everything you do on it is just building up and up, especially as it's windows as it'll just be dumping temporary files everywhere.