Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Vs Windows

I quote "Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny? It's because of all the calories they burn because they can't shut the up about how great their Macs are. What is it about Apple that makes its users unable to shut their mouths? Everywhere I go, there's another with a Mac preaching about how much better Macs are than PCs. They regurgitate lines directly from Apple's marketing campaign, like "it just works."

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    That doesn't sound healthy!!
    I disagree.

I have been told by professionals that turning off your computer does more harm than good!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I disagree.

I have been told by professionals that turning off your computer does more harm than good!
    I don't know what "Professionals" you go to but I think you better look for a new computer shop

I'm pretty sure it's good practise to regularly shut down properly. ESPECIALLY if it's a laptop, thats certain.

Shutting down just has a nice clean up of everything, deletes a lot of temporary files etc.
    I know where all the temp directories are, and even redundant temp files do no harm (after defragmenting) other than use disk space.

It's just better practice
    You'll need to qualify that statement with a reason though!

I don't know if it's a laptop. But if it is, you'll be killing your battery without it doing proper "Cycles".
    No, not fan of laptops myself although I do use one. Not quite sure what that means either to be honest, but if it were a laptop, I don't see an issue with it being in constant use. The batteries in most laptops aren't much cop anyway, which is one of the main reasons for my dislike of them.

Everything you do on it is just building up and up
    Again, I don't understand what is 'building up'? If I use an application, and close it again, nothing is left running or using resources. I make sure to install and uninstall software correctly, there is no issue with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    I quote "Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny? It's because of all the calories they burn because they can't shut the up about how great their Macs are. What is it about Apple that makes its users unable to shut their mouths? Everywhere I go, there's another with a Mac preaching about how much better Macs are than PCs. They regurgitate lines directly from Apple's marketing campaign, like "it just works."
    Have you ever used a Mac?

(I mean owned one for a good few months, not played with one in a shop.)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    The batteries in most laptops aren't much cop anyway, which is one of the main reasons for my dislike of them.
    My Macbook has an 11 hour battery life

I don't know what "Professionals" you go to but I think you better look for a new computer shop
    He chargers £500 an hour so one hopes he knows what he is talking about.

That doesn't sound healthy!!
    My server hasn't been switched off in about 3 years lol (restarted, but never switched off) - Length of time the computer is on doesn't really matter, unless you're an eco-warrior.

I tell the folks at work to switch their PC's off on Friday afternoons simply to save on the electricity bill, they get a virus check every night and are defragged weekly and get regular clean ups where possible.

I ran my PCDJ laptop for 3 weeks solid to test stability and it never skipped a beat...Having said that it's only got windows and PCDJ on it, and it's not allowed on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    He chargers £500 an hour so one hopes he knows what he is talking about.
    One would be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by mattydinx View Post
    My server hasn't been switched off in about 3 years
    That's different, they're designed to be used in that manor.