Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Vs Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    He chargers £500 an hour
    Jesus, I need to move companies! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    I quote "Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny?
    YOUR RIGHT

This bloke is Steve Jobs - the main man at apple:

And this plonker (although i have a bit more meat) :

Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    One would be surprised
    Here's the theory of leaving everything on: At the instant that an electrical device is turned on to a constant and unchangeable power source, there is an electrical burst of energy comparable to a mechanical "jerk." The rate of change is instantaneous and infinite. This search, for an instantaneous moment, is higher than 5v or 12v, or whatever - therefore, it's a surge. Notable as well, motors such as the electrical motors in the hard drives, floppy drives, and fans take the biggest torque making that instantaneous movement from completely still to moving. Because of this, motors usually have two coils, a drive coil and a starter coil. The starter coil is the high torque "push" that gets the motor moving.

All of this means that at the moment the machine is turned on, an incredible amount of amperage is necessary to get things moving, and the mechanical torque and the electrical absorption is at it's highest, usually instantaneously higher than the tolerances of the equipment. It is the point where equipment usually fails, as it is the greatest amount of instantaneous load that can be put on the equipment.

The common analogy is, "A light bulb never blows when it's already on, it only blows when it's turned on." For the most part, this is true - the above reason is given why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlinn View Post
    My Macbook has an 11 hour battery life
    Which model is that then, do you have a link?

Other than that, which I am still doubting, you haven't really offered up any real evidence that Mac systems are 'better' than Windows systems.

And by the way, I know cost has a large part to play in it, but you'll find most large organisations will be running Windows XP workstations throughout their offices, with a combination of Windows, Netware, Mac and Unix/Linux servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Here's the theory of leaving everything on: At the instant that an electrical device is turned on to a constant and unchangeable power source, there is an electrical burst of energy comparable to a mechanical "jerk." The rate of change is instantaneous and infinite. This search, for an instantaneous moment, is higher than 5v or 12v, or whatever - therefore, it's a surge. Notable as well, motors such as the electrical motors in the hard drives, floppy drives, and fans take the biggest torque making that instantaneous movement from completely still to moving. Because of this, motors usually have two coils, a drive coil and a starter coil. The starter coil is the high torque "push" that gets the motor moving.

All of this means that at the moment the machine is turned on, an incredible amount of amperage is necessary to get things moving, and the mechanical torque and the electrical absorption is at it's highest, usually instantaneously higher than the tolerances of the equipment. It is the point where equipment usually fails, as it is the greatest amount of instantaneous load that can be put on the equipment.

The common analogy is, "A light bulb never blows when it's already on, it only blows when it's turned on." For the most part, this is true - the above reason is given why.

That paragraph is too complicated for me, Charlie.

You know that

I'm intrigued, so if we're talking about laptops used for DJ'in purposes only and all that's installed is your playout software and OS. What would make a Mac any better than a PC?

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Which model is that then, do you have a link?

Other than that, which I am still doubting, you haven't really offered up any real evidence that Mac systems are 'better' than Windows systems.

And by the way, I know cost has a large part to play in it, but you'll find most large organisations will be running Windows XP workstations throughout their offices, with a combination of Windows, Netware, Mac and Unix/Linux servers.
    I have this (15 inch) http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/specs.html

Apologies, the website says 9 hours, but i've had 11 out of it before

I'm intrigued, so if we're talking about laptops used for DJ'in purposes only and all that's installed is your playout software and OS. What would make a Mac any better than a PC?
    Probably Windows.

Only cause they're a third of the price.

Spending the amount of money on a Mac just for that, I can't justify.

This is a fast thread. It has to be the first time everyone is at home on a saturday (or on the internet whilst working).
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Nothing - The mac software I trialled was terrible (going back a year or so mind), and featured too much iTunes integration, As all my music was saved on my hard drive on a per-album basis, It was hopeless, unless you knew which album your music was on.

I love my mac for general computing, graphic/web design, etc - But I'm yet to find a decent way to DJ from it.

I'm still using PCDJ Red 5.2 because for DJing...."It Just Works" lol

And Cowlinn, As much as i'm on-side for supporting mac, there's no way in hell anyone gets 11 hours of of a battery. You'd have to turn off all networking services, don't use the CD-drive, have the display brightness on minimum, no illuminated keyboard, and have a single app running for that period.

I get about 5 hours out of mine for browsing the net, but that's at a push lol