Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD help please.

Default HD help please.

I'm almost certainly going to get one of these.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_dds_drive.htm

It's tidy, and I believe you can remove the HD from the unit to update it, without lugging an entire flightcase about. My query is, would something like this be what I need to connect the bare drive to a PC?
    http://cpc.farnell.com/akasa/ak-ic00...ock/dp/CS18363
    Thanks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I'm almost certainly going to get one of these.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_dds_drive.htm

It's tidy, and I believe you can remove the HD from the unit to update it, without lugging an entire flightcase about. My query is, would something like this be what I need to connect the bare drive to a PC?
    http://cpc.farnell.com/akasa/ak-ic00...ock/dp/CS18363
    Thanks.

The DDS Drive is simply a USB HUB with USB to IDE (NOT SATA). The HDD can easily be removed from the front, but I've not been able to find a holder for the caddy.

Also, I think the AK ic008 unit is for SATA drives, for would not work with the IDE drive used inside the DDS.
    However, there are lots of similar IDE adapters out there.

If you intend to use these together, the DDS IDE Drive sits on its own caddy, so you'll need to remove this before plugging the drive into any USB adapater...

Numark were unable to provide any details when I contacted them a few years ago -my plan was to get 2 Caddys and a 5 1/2" bay inside a desktop.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

i bought one from thomann a few weeks back. fitted a 160gb HD to it. its an IDE drive. no room in the caddy for an adaptor. it would be great as you say to remove the caddy and link it to a pc/laptop to upload music and organise files for this, which saves moving a flightcase about.

the dds from thomann doesnt come with a hard drive unstalled. came to about £8 for delivery from germany. the cd drive on this can play 2 songs from the same disc at the same time but they dont advise it.

for £50 its worth a shot as these are £299 everywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The DDS Drive is simply a USB HUB with USB to IDE (NOT SATA). The HDD can easily be removed from the front, but I've not been able to find a holder for the caddy.

Also, I think the AK ic008 unit is for SATA drives, for would not work with the IDE drive used inside the DDS.

If you intend to use these together, the DDS IDE Drive sits on its own caddy, so you'll need to remove this before plugging the drive into any USB adapater...

Numark were unable to provide any details when I contacted them a few years ago -my plan was to get 2 Caddys and a 5 1/2" bay inside a desktop.
    Any chance of that in English, mate? Do you mean that I'm going to have to unscrew the drive from whatever makes it fit the Numark assembly? That's a bad idea.

I was hoping to simply remove the drive from the numark, and slot it straight into a gizmo connected to the PC by a USB cable. Can I do that?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 30-01-2011 at 03:22 PM.

do you want me to take a picture of the caddy removed so you can see the connection on the back. that way you can see if you can get a gizmo to connect it up without unscrewing it from the caddy

Quote Originally Posted by chrispeacock View Post
    the dds from thomann doesnt come with a hard drive unstalled.
    Do you mean installed?
    Does the unit supplied from Thomann contain the 80gb hard disc or is it just an empty caddy?
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by chrispeacock View Post
    do you want me to take a picture of the caddy removed so you can see the connection on the back. that way you can see if you can get a gizmo to connect it up without unscrewing it from the caddy
    I suspect it may be one of these.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/numark_dds_caddy.htm
    In which case, I think I can see where Jason was coming from. Why can't it be simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Do you mean installed?
    Does the unit supplied from Thomann contain the 80gb hard disc or is it just an empty caddy?
    It's bare. What do you expect for £50?

the 80gb unit is not in the dds when bought from thomann. but i picked up a 160gb one for £30. so for £80 i paid for a £300 unit. bargain if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Jason, I've sat down and read your post more than once, and coupled with what else has been written here, I think I actually understand it now. Ta.

I've just ordered the unit from Thomann, so I'll keep everybody posted as to how it all goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Any chance of that in English, mate? Do you mean that I'm going to have to unscrew the drive from whatever makes it fit the Numark assembly? That's a bad idea.

I was hoping to simply remove the drive from the numark, and slot it straight into a gizmo connected to the PC by a USB cable. Can I do that?
    Sorry mate, but you've deciphered correctly.... take the lump(drive) out... un-screw the IDE drive, and then plug into your USB>IDE adapter.

Sadly, not what you (or I) want.
    I emailed NuMark, trying to find a souce of 5 1/4" drive bays that will allow me to connect their caddys, a reply, but no help.

Jason
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.