Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Please Help! the best way to hook up my amps/speakers

Default Please Help! the best way to hook up my amps/speakers

OK I really need some help here!
    what would be the best way to hook up my PA I have tried different ways but i am sure its not right.

I tried it in bridge mode last night at a gig and the amp got very hot and cut out (a friend recommended to do this) out of the bridge into the back of one speaker then out of that speaker into the other!

if i just use the amp as normal out left and right into the speakers it doesn't sound loud another.

OK I have two Numark Dimension 4 Amplifiers 1900w
    http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=62&cat=40
    and two Peavey QW3
    http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/qw3_specs.pdf

OK Hope you can help i am probably being an idiot ! Thanks

I assume that you are using the full range input other wise it will sound wrong. Your speakers are 8ohm so drive in normal mode will only allow the amplifier to deliver 660W. Which might be enough for a normal hall but would sound quite in a large hall.
    Bridge mode will deliver more power but in mono only. As with every system the amp will cut out if you over drive it.

It sounds to me as you want a large sound than your system can produce. Other in bridged or stero mode the amp is fiarly well matched for the speakers. If you want a higher sound than this system can deliver I think you will need to increase the number of speakers / amps.

Right. Contrary to what the previous poster said, I reckon that those amps are too small to drive those cabs effectively.
    Unles you bridge the amps, and run one cab per amp, with the cabs driven full range. Running two cabs per amp bridged will overheat the amp, as you found out. Just watch the connections, because bridged uses different terminals to deliver the power.

My preference would be a bigger amp run normally. This kiddy would be the sort of size I'd recommend. At least.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_proline_3000.htm
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Thanks addoaddo, what about if i used an amp per speaker in mono bridge mode would that be better? also its the ohm stuff that gets me all confused! Thanks

I think Excalibur just answered my last post! Thanks

or what about "linking the two amps together" ? what would you do? i think i will have to get a new amp at some point!
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 30-01-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: merged 3 posts together

Quote Originally Posted by scbdiscos View Post
    Thanks addoaddo, what about if i used an amp per speaker in mono bridge mode would that be better? also its the ohm stuff that gets me all confused! Thanks

I think Excalibur just answered my last post! Thanks

or what about "linking the two amps together" ? what would you do? i think i will have to get a new amp at some point!
    If you do that, you will need a new amp, and I'm going to need a " Boom! " smiley.

Those cabs apprear to be monstrously power hungry items. According to Peaveys thinking, you could safely lash an amp to those which delivered
    2000w per channel at 8ohms !!!!!!!!!!! That would be a brute.

One of our Peavey afficinados on here always recommends speaking to the technical help dept at Peavey. They are very helpful.

You need a decent amp to drive those beasts , what you have isn't really good enough quality but at worst you would need two one each side.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out, I think i will get a new amp in the future. but i think for now i will use two amps one ether side as my wife has just had our baby so I'm going to be low on funds.
    Now any good recommendations on the right amp for the speakers?

I use one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MC2-Amplifier-...item43a4de83e5 the quality of sound and power is terrific , although I'm not sure it would be quite enough for your speakers , it should be but I would look into it further should think of getting one.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help out, I think i will get a new amp in the future. but i think for now i will use two amps one ether side as my wife has just had our baby so I'm going to be low on funds.
    Which part of this recommendation was confusing you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My preference would be a bigger amp run normally. This kiddy would be the sort of size I'd recommend. At least.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_proline_3000.htm
    Unless you pay thousands of pounds, it's as big as I can find, and it gets acceptable reviews from the big lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    I use one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MC2-Amplifier-...item43a4de83e5 the quality of sound and power is terrific , although I'm not sure it would be quite enough for your speakers , it should be but I would look into it further should think of getting one.
    Excellent amp Paul, but not big enough on its own, I'd have said. According to the spec shown in the OP's link, they'll stand 2000w RMS per cab at 8ohms cheerfully. The amp you've linked to gives 600w.
    Two of them running a cab each bridged would be over £1500.