Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Punched 19" Rack Panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Ooooh, I like that, Steve!

Currently I can't get into the outputs of my mixer without having to get out the toolbox and unscrew the backup HD2500. Something like that would be perfect for me....
    .....now who wants to make me one?
    Well in the name of all that's holy, what have we been telling you for ages? I am delighted to see that Young Steve has picked up the baton and run with it in such a brilliant fashion, in the never ending marathon of educating you lot.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well in the name of all that's holy, what have we been telling you for ages?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Well that's charming!!

In all seriousness, anyone who is considering anything like this will hardly need a soldering iron, for the phono sockets have a socket each side, and it it also possible to buy similar XLR ones. The only bit you can't avoid soldering is the IEC inlet.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Tis true, with the exception of the IEC (or if you wished (with the right cut outs in the plate) powercon) inlet, there is nothing that isn't just plugged in either side of the panel.

One key point here is I now don't need to open the back of my case at all. The connections that get used every gig exit the case below the keyboard drawer. Even my mixer to amp connection is there. The "in case of emergency" panel is the custom one Steve made me that lives above the mixer.

Obviously if you don't mind soldering, then cost can be cut quite considerably, as the connections that involve soldering the internal side of whatever are a lot cheaper than the through feed ones. The USB socket is USB A to USB B (you can get the reverse) I'm not sure I'd want to try & solder the connections on one of them anyway.

Key points to consider are how many U you have available for the panel & what exactly you need there. You can get XLR, USB, Speakon, powercon, single Phono, & Jack connections to fit the D series size holes & Jack & single Phono will fit the 9mm holes (IECs have their own cut outs). Off the shelf panels are available from the retailers mentioned earlier in the thread (if you know what you want let me know, I think I've pretty much memorised the entire section of the CPC catalogue)

If the panel is non-standard then Steve has said he'll happily make up orders for forum members.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 22-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    OK so I got that slightly wrong, but it was only a slight re-jig & I'm now confident it won't be changing again (unless there is some major change in DJ technology)
    Right, here's an explanation of the above from Peter's thread. I now have a 12 hole patch panel at the bottom so I've addes a few things & moved some.

The top panel (the one this thread was about) now is (L-R) XLR = spare (2nd) mic, phono = phono in, phono = line in, phono = phono in / line in, phono = rec out, XLR = line in left input , XLR = line in right input (same mixer channel as previous XLR), USB = to hub 1, USB = to hub 2. (Inputs to either hub or power for USB gooseneck light).

Bottom panel (the new one) is now (L - R) XLR = main mic, USB = hub 1,USB = hub 1,USB = hub 2,USB = hub 2, XLR = mixer to amp, XLR = mixer to amp, XLR = mixer to amp, XLR = mixer to amp, XLR = mixer sub out, powercon out = through link for 4 way lead (when needed), powercon in (powers the whole box & get's rid of the IEC)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 16-09-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

As an additional to this thread, Terralec's Modular Box range http://www.terralec.co.uk/hardware/m...ox/166_0c.html could come in handy to anyone undergoing similar projects.

I was talking to Ian8Limelight last night about connectors, which got me thinking about this thread again. It has occured to me that throughout this entire thread I haven't actually said how much the 2 panels cost. (I think Shaun was considering something similar but being a Scotsman he likes to watch his pennies). It doesn't cost the earth & can tidy up your racks no end.

The top one was about £45 (This was just the sockets (3x XLR, 8x phono & 2x USB) etc as Steve kindly made the plate for free. Off the shelf ones cost around a fiver, obviously custom ones would be a couple of quid more)

The lower one would've been around £70 - £75 or so for the sockets (2x powercon, 6x XLR & 4x USB) & an off the shelf panel

If people were not too hot in making one of these panels I can make then if they wanted. Just pop me a PM and to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
    If people were not too hot in making one of these panels I can make then if they wanted. Just pop me a PM and to discuss.
    Thing is, using the parts I did, you don't need to be. The only thing that needs soldering is the power socket & you don't have to include oneif you don't mind having a standard 4 way extension lead in your case.

Right, a change in main playout has necessitated a change in the layout, not only of my case, but also the panels themselves.

Name:  2015-11-28 23.39.09.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  73.2 KB

That's what it looks like while in use.

The laptop folds flat & slots down the 1/2U space behind the HD2500 & sits in a section of aluminium extrusion attached to the inside of the rear door. If I can figure out a way of adapting a 1/2U blanking plate to hold it in place, that might change (but only because I don't like the look of the gap either side, I can live with it if not)

The hinged panel between the HD2500 & the MC6000 is there for a number of reasons. 1 to enable access to the connections on the rear of the MC6000. 2 because the connections on the MC6000 aren't recessed, so I can't butt the HD2500 up against it. 3 I didn't want a hole there. 4 There is something else in there. Remember my post a while back about wireless in ear monitors? Well I bit the bullet & bought a set of the Gear 4 Music ones & the transmitter is in the gap between the two players.

Name:  2015-11-28 23.39.44.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  61.2 KB

Had to take the grinder to one side of the inside of the door so it didn't foul the earth terminal & cable strain clip on the back of the MC6000, but it does the job & you wouldn't know it when the door is closed.

Name:  2015-11-27 00.36.52.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  63.9 KB

I decided to put a blanking plate in to tidy up the appearance where I had left a void when I was running 2 HD2500s & to get the custom panel under the drawer & I moved the drawer up 1U. The Drawer still contains 2 keyboards & now also a mini mouse pad. Through my collection of splitters & other gubbins, I have got the sockets how I want them.

Socket wise, it now runs like this:

(L-R, top row first)

1) Jack = In Ear Monitor Transmitter Input linked to the headphone out on the MC6000 via a TRS jack to TRS jack patch lead
    2) Phono 1 = Line 1 in *
    3) Phono 2 = Line 2 in *
    4) Phono 3 = Main Out (Unbalanced)
    5) Phono 4 = Booth Out **
    6) XLR(F) 1= Line In (L) *
    7) XLR(F) 2 = Line In (R) *
    8) USB(B) 1 = HD2500 – PC input to internal HD for the absolute emergency "party essentials"
    9) USB(A) 1 = Mouse for laptop

(Bottom row)

1) XLR(F) 3 = Mic 1 (Main)
    2) XLR(F) 4 = Mic 2 (Spare)
    3) USB(A) 2 = HD2500 Hard Drive Input
    4) USB(A) 3 = HD2500 Hard Drive Input
    5) XLR(M) 1 = Booth Out **
    6) XLR(M) 2 = Booth Out **
    7) XLR(M) 3 = Main Out
    8) XLR(M) 4 = Main Out
    9) XLR(M) 5 = Main Out
    10) XLR(M) 6 = Main Out
    11) PowerCon Out = Through Power Supply Socket
    12) PowerCon In = Mains Connection Socket

Sockets marked * or ** are interchangeable with their phono / XLR counterpart by opening the rack door on top & switching the relevant lead on the mixer. The USB leads from the laptop to the MC6000, keyboard & mouse are cable tied to the rear of the rack for easy access, plug them in slot the laptop into place & ready to go.

Any leads that travel downwards from the sockets either go to something on the lower shelf of my Ultimax deck stand, or are routed down it's legs behind the big black knobs. I'm pointing this out because somebody mentioned to me that they thought having all the leads exiting the front of the case would create a trip hazard. It doesn't. Any that connect to speakers, the mains electricity, etc, go sideways from the foot of the stand to the corner of the booth & are taped down until they reach their destination.

Any questions?