Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Some "starter" advice

Well another thread that could be of use to other people as it is to myself is taken off topic by Martin posting rubbish again.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by StarZSoundS View Post
    Guess I'll pick it up eventually......only been doing it eight years
    Well there's no excuses then

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Here we go, return to Butlitz again!

Yep.....Long hours....Poor Pay.....loads of fun!!!I wouldn't have it any other way

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Well another thread that could be of use to other people as it is to myself is taken off topic by Martin posting rubbish again.
    If thats how you feel i'll leave the thread....shame... i've been in the Karaoke Game for a while now!!My last post excepted I thought we were talking about how we construct a Karaoke Evening....didn't see how it was going off topic.

You did ask for starter advice....you just didn't like mine....fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    I sing as little as possible when doing karaoke, but what you have to realise is, it is possible for you to lack singers, especially for the earlier part of the evening. So let's say you start at 9 p.m and you have 4 singers between then and 10.30 p.m. the four singers have covered maybe 20 minutes (if you're lucky) of that 1 1/2 hours. So what you going to do to fill the other hour and 10 minutes? Just play music and wait? Not acceptable in the world of karaoke I'm afraid.

Whether you can sing or not, you're going to need quite a big list of songs that YOU are going to sing if need be.

In my opinion, as a punter, if I sit down in a karaoke bar early doors when a compere is working, I want to be entertained, sitting for the first hour, listening to someone who can't even sing work his way through 6 songs, nightmare ! One hour with no singers is a long time, ask any KDJ and just playing music, ignoring your crowd, is a big ole no no.
    I can see where you're coming from, Mark, but I've been doing karaoke for 11 years and in that time I've made my shows in to karaoke discos. When people aren't singing, I will sing a small number of songs but then I'll play music so people can have a bit of a dance if they want to. I don't ignore the crowd and I'm continually interacting with them but my voice won't stand up to three hours of constant singing (been there, got the t-shirt, got the voice problems!) so I don't.

And I've never had any complaints that I'm not entertaining enough... yet!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, Mark, but I've been doing karaoke for 11 years and in that time I've made my shows in to karaoke discos. When people aren't singing, I will sing a small number of songs but then I'll play music so people can have a bit of a dance if they want to. I don't ignore the crowd and I'm continually interacting with them but my voice won't stand up to three hours of constant singing (been there, got the t-shirt, got the voice problems!) so I don't.

And I've never had any complaints that I'm not entertaining enough... yet!
    I'm not saying it's black and white mate, it's just my opinion. I did my first ever karaoke 16 years ago when I was 20 and 5 years of that was working 6 nights a week as compere in a caberet bar where karaoke played a big part of most evenings (while we're throwing in experience and years/hours of service in the mix). I've never done a karaoke where people haven't sang for 3 hours though to be honest, I was talking about the beginning part of the evening.