Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some "starter" advice

The graphics part of a cdg normally take up around 2 meg, so that plus your audio track, depending on what quality you choose. If you do indeed go digital.

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Right I got the collection Mark posted to earlier.

Now can anyone tell me how much space does the "average" karaoke track take up. Need to work out if I need to play a karaoke player or go digital which is my preferred choice.
    The avg size of a combined mp3 and .cdg file when zipped at 320Kbps is 4MB to 5MB
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm using audiograbber now as its a free program and rips them ok. Only issue is you cant rip them as mp3+cdg so each file is taking up 30ish meg.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Hi Neil

I think Hammy's suggestion of hiring in for the trial period is spot on. Many DJs hate karaoke with a passion as there's a fair bit of work involved and you have to deal with the drunks face to face a lot more than when just DJing. Therefore, you might decide it's not for you or it's just not worth the hassle and you've lost nothing (as you would have factored the hire costs in to the trial price!). If you do want to take it further, then you start buying the music yourself.
    Yep that will be me. God I would have to boil my own head.

Can you sing Neil? Otherwise how do you intend to host it. Most I have seen tend to start it off or do at least one track during the night to encourage people? Last bit obviously aimed at Deckstar.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm using audiograbber now as its a free program and rips them ok. Only issue is you cant rip them as mp3+cdg so each file is taking up 30ish meg.
    What format is it riiping to ? a .bin file ? if so then this is the full size file and not a compressed mp3 file... You will need the .cdg file with the mp3 file for the lyrics to show up and function.
    *** Genie Discs Entertainments ***

Professional Sound & Lighting, PAT Compliant, DJ Guard PLI Insurance and PRS/MCPS ProDub License.

.bin wasnt picked up in VDJ so its cdg+"compressed file".

Going to give these a whirl on the mackie pa and see how it sounds.

I can't sing to save my life, the benidorm guys will vouch for that! Doesn't stop me singing if I feel its what I need to do.

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I can't sing to save my life, the benidorm guys will vouch for that! Doesn't stop me singing if I feel its what I need to do.
    Neil.....for once the other Neil has it wrong!!!

There is absolutely no requirement to sing at all.I can sing a bit ...but rarely do......

Not even an issue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StarZSoundS View Post
    Neil.....for once the other Neil has it wrong!!!

There is absolutely no requirement to sing at all.I can sing a bit ...but rarely do......

Not even an issue!!!
    I don't think he has as being able to sing and be happy to do so is more of a bonus. Getting the first person up to sing is the challenge and even if its myself then that's only going to encourage other people once I've given them a tone deaf Sweet Caroline!

I also know the manager pretty well and I'm sure the staff will get involved too.

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I'd disagree there, Neil. Being able to sing (ie a decent singer) can often put people off putting in requests as an average self-conscious singer wont want to follow you.

It's my theory that everyone can sing but it's just a case of picking the right songs. When Keith Allen was Fat Les could he sing? No. Is Peter Kay a great singer? No. But they've both had huge hits which always go down well in a party atmosphere. See where I'm coming from?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'd disagree there, Neil. Being able to sing (ie a decent singer) can often put people off putting in requests as an average self-conscious singer wont want to follow you.

Spot on.....I've seen more Karaoke Evenings spoilt by the Karaoke Host being more involved than he should be(I.E singing too often or ar all) ......rather than if he was staying at a respectful distance.

Its not about the Host....its about the Singers.You should keep the evening bobbing along but only by asking for inflated rounds of applause for the singers..... and playing some decent tracks whilst you are organizing the singers between songs......IMHO.