Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Never known it to happen before

Default Never known it to happen before

I gave a quote months ago for the first wedding in a Theatre and was asked for uplighting and early set up. Park in car park take gear in and up 1 level in a lift. My quote included £50 for early set up. Email reply after 4 weeks 'We cannot afford the extra £50 for early set up can you do it cheaper?'
    My answer was no. A few weeks later the fututre bride said they would be looking elswhere.
    Then I heard that a dj I know was doing it and had quoted a lot cheaper. A few days ago he calls me and asks if I can lend or hire him some uplighters as he told a client he would provide.
    When I asked him where, he said the Theatre wedding.
    My answer NO. I quoted and as my quote was not accepted and he is doing it cheaper there is no way he is hiring my lights for it. He advertises that he has the mood lighting but apparently does not.
    Rant over.

You shot yourself in the foot there, you should have charged him a good price for the hire, let him do the work while you sit back and take the profit.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    You shot yourself in the foot there, you should have charged him a good price for the hire, let him do the work while you sit back and take the profit.

I used to advertise for mood lighting. I have a few uplighting jobs under my belt for 2011 - so I've invested in a set.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    Yep, I agree with that.

If you charge a sensible price for the hire then it encourages the cheapy guy to also charge properly. Although anyone with any business sense would have got a quote from you (or a hire company) first, before quoting the client!

If he's undercut you so much that he ends up subsidising the hire out of his own DJ fee, then at least he might think twice about quoting so cheap next time!

Oh... and remember to provide only exactly the right amount of cables he needs, and charge individually for them too. Plus, the re-coiling/cleaning fee if the cables aren't returned in the same condition...
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Well, nice rant Chris..

The DJ he is referring to is me - I don't think I charged much cheaper, especially as I'm usually as expensive as you are.

Secondly, she didn't ask me for mood lighting, I told her that it would be nice for me to bring it - and especially as it's the first ever wedding there, I wanted to make me look the best I can be for so that if any others come up the management can recommend me, the first one ever who did a great job.

And it's an extra page of pictures and information on my site.

If you have a problem with me Chris, talk to me...

Don't shout it out on a forum - I know my name isn't mentioned, but surely you know I'll read it and reply....

Incidentaly, I am taking three LEDs in the end as I have to be out within 30 mins and told her the only way I could do it would be to bring less.

Incidentaly, for all those who mentioned he should charge - I started the conversation with him - "How much would you charge to hire me" and there's no early setup either..
    Now my rant over.
    http://www.therightmusic.co.uk/ Covering Norfolk and Suffolk.

Back in the UK!

Appologies for getting it wrong Tony. I thought you said she wanted mood lighting as that was what she asked me for. She told me it had to be set up early but nothing about being out in 30 minutes.

I love this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post

I love this place.
    I'm getting too old for it. "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

So let me get this right here abracadabra.... you started this thread on here KNOWING that Tonsk - a member of many years standing - was the DJ you were speaking of?

If that's the case, I am absolutely disgusted.

Don't try and turn the forum in to your personal boxing ring

Take it elsewhere.