Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active Speakers

Default Active Speakers

Looking to buy a pair of active speakers for running a small PA rig for events of up to 100 people. Currently carting round a pair of passive Peaveys and an amp and think it would make a lot more sense to get a small pair of actives that can be used at small events where a full disco rig isn't required.

Budget is about the £300-400 mark, so I guess I'm looking at buying something used.

Any suggestions?

Honest opinion?
    If I were you I would probably keep carting around the Peaveys for a little longer and save an extra few quid for some Mackies, RCF's or DB Technologies. You may get a good deal on them second hand but you will get warranty etc if you buy new.

I've made the mistake before of being too eager to get something and regretted it. Don't get me wrong, I really rate the DB Technologies stuff and it's a few quid cheaper too but the Mackies and RCF's (although more expensive) have a real bit of kick to them.

Yep what I would say is save up for some mackies. I went from peavey to mackies and it a much better sound. Run it with a db sub for when you need more power i.e over 100 people so you can get away with just the two tops.

I got a pair from Martin with wheel bags and stand for £900 with the sub included too so thats a good ballpark figure. I know its double your budget but if you go cheaper like JBL's or Kam actives which I have used in gigs they are woeful in my opinion.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate the advice!

Are Mackies my best bet as and when I can save up some pennies? Heard lots about RCFs and QSCs but I guess they're probably a fair chunk more again?

What sort of spec should I be looking at?

I wouldnt worth too much about specs as I dont think sound is the issue here but sound quality. Its very much you get what you pay for but also everyone has different opinions on how good certain sound systems are.

As your local you are more than welcome to pop along and hear them for yourself. Add me on facebook if your on there "Neil CWDJ Ollerton" and we can sort something out if you wish.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

As said better off with S/H but sometimes a less well known manufacturer slips under the radar,one such make is Alto had a pair in last week for service sounded really good i think they are PHA range have a search on the usual auction sites.

hi definately mackie srm 450 or rcfs ...i use peavey ul15s tho as i prefer them to the latter just wish they weighed a bit less...

Quote Originally Posted by big beat discos View Post
    hi definately mackie srm 450 or rcfs ...i use peavey ul15s tho as i prefer them to the latter just wish they weighed a bit less...
    For £300-400 tell me where ?

Just got back from a gig where I used my new dB Cromo 12" Actives, leaving the Mackie 450s as Backup..

I can't comment on reliability, but the sound from these new speakers is fantastic (IMO :-) )

The Mackies can sound a bit harsh up close, but these sounded much warmer.
    They are 300W RMS, and have no EQ on the box, so XLR or Jack with Gain.
    (no passthrough, which is a pain).

I normally start with flat eq on the mixer, and didn't make any changes. Bass was fine (older crowd, very little modern music)

Cost was a little over £500 from RSD Music, we did a "sound-off", with RCF's (as a benchmark), W-Audio, SkyTec and the dB Cromos. I was originally going to get W-Audio 12s for back-up and the odd gig where a separate PA is required for speeches.

So - something to consider!
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

For me its either RCF or DB Technologies for me. Closer to budget would be db techologies.

I recommended RCF to a couple of my friends who bought themselves a pair and they are very happy with them.