Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what shall i do ????

Quote Originally Posted by dj_ags
    Well i'll take that as a compliment then Daz :thumbs_up :beer:

I can assure you that i am 16 years of age, and not a 35 year old faking my age :teeth:
    I wasn't insinuating that mate! :beer:

(That's a shandy btw) :teeth:

If you really are interested in a career in the technical side of entertainment, can I suggest that while you continue your education you get involved in as much related work as you can - much of this will be for free I'm afraid!

I was just like you at your age and I'm afraid I didn't do enough. Things may well have changed now, but I applied to the BBC to be a trainee sound engineer over 15 times and didn't get in, not only because the competition at the time was fierce, but maybe because I didn't do enough.

Try your local theatre, amature dramatics groups. Maybe even look at local PA companies, concert venues and the like. Offer to make tea at a local radio station and maybe even get involved with hospital radio.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    I wasn't insinuating that mate! :beer:

(That's a shandy btw) :teeth:
    No i know you wasn't mate :thumbs_up :beer:

That is a good point you have made their Rice about getting yourself in early to learn the ropes so to speak. I applied to a few radio stations and theatres for a work experience programme at the end of the 2004/05 academic year. Needless to say, i didn't get in as they already had students present for their work experience.

Have you done your work experience programme yet Zach or are you going to take it this year?

So has anyone else got any other pointers for Zach
    :teeth: Scott :teeth:

Roadie/DJ for The Sound Factory,
    operating in the Midlands, covering counties throughout the region

My advice train to become an electrician, you will never be short of work or cash , it will also be useful with what you want to do, sound systems etc.
    lot of money to be made from PAT testing, it's not just disco gear , it includes all electrical equipment in public places, hotels etc.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondgeezer
    My advice train to become an electrician, you will never be short of work or cash , it will also be useful with what you want to do, sound systems etc.
    lot of money to be made from PAT testing, it's not just disco gear , it includes all electrical equipment in public places, hotels etc.
    Or a jeweller - I've heard there's good money in that :teeth:

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    Try your local theatre, amature dramatics groups. Maybe even look at local PA companies, concert venues and the like. Offer to make tea at a local radio station and maybe even get involved with hospital radio.
    Bingo. Im just a few years further down the line than you. I'm a freelance tech at our local theatre, but alot of time is spent there for free. I'm currently taking in sixth form "BTEC In Performing Arts, Technical Theatre", what a title! :teeth:

I'm considered the school's theatre tech, and i even sometimes get calls on a friday night, being asked where the batteries are kept in the tech booth!
    After completing the next academic year, I will be employed by the school to work part time as the theatre tech, running 3 drama studios, a full rig hall, a dance studio, and pretty much everything PA around the school. I'm also looking at electrical qualifications to be doing 1 day a week.

My advice would be look into it highly now. I was lucky that I had a job fall into my lap, which was just aswell considering I wasn't looking half has hard as I should have been at your age. GET EXPERIENCE. How? Theates are a great place, theres alot more too it than just lights and sound, you have stage managment, flying, rigging, etc etc.

I suggest you carry on the DJ stuff, but its not ideal to say "DJing will cover my income" because when you work for yourself, you can guarentee it . I'd Say Worcestershire is a little bit far to travel down to me for work experience, but I will be offering anyone whos after it work experience in the next summer holidays (this is technical, theatre based mainly), the only critera is that your in a position I once was :teeth:

I see you have added me to MSN tonight, so I'm sure I can give you some 1to1 advice, meant in the nicest, most child friendly possible way lol.

EXPERIENCE!
    Last edited by DMX Will; 24-08-2006 at 12:40 AM.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Nice one Will.

Another chappy with advice beyond his years.

Very cool.

i was at college with edith bowman (she was year ahead of me), and my grades and projects were better than hers ...but decided to go and work in a nightclub as i felt no one in that college was going to go all the way and i felt that by getting out there and DJ'ing was gonna be a better and quicker way to get noticed and make cash...

boy did i screw up or what
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    Nice one Will.

Another chappy with advice beyond his years.

Very cool.
    It's all because we "hang out" with old geezers such as yourself

I kid. :teeth: :teeth: :beer:
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Stay in school & get more qualifications
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries