Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effective Web design

Default Effective Web design

This is a regularly discussed topic.

However, I wanted to bring it up again and maybe put a different slant on things. I think it's time for a re-design of mine. While we got a great deal of work from it back in the new year after the launch of this design, things have dropped off a little - although I have just picked up 5 weddings for next year this week, so maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, I have been reading my collection of web magazines. They say that the average web surfer takes 50ms to make a decision on a web site. They suggest that your home page is vital and the key to visitors. Grab the visitor on page one and they are likely to forgive poorer design in the rest of the site.

So what grabs people. The problem I am guessing most of us have is that we are all DJ's and what grabs us as DJ's simply isn't what grabs our clients. I am looking at the top banner, but I would choose some lighting effects or a CD player or a speaker or something. But actually I have a feeling this isn't something that grabs a client and makes them stay.

By the way, I am not asking anyone to assess my current site - I want to change it completely. So what I do want is to get some idea what grabds our clients?

I also wonder if I need a better "tag line" with my logo. At the moment it's "disco's for all occasions", which hardly says WOW does it. Forgive me if you have this, but I also don't think "Ipswich's No1 Disco" is quite right either. Maybe something like "If you've got the moves, we've got the grooves", or "Your wedding, our disco, perfect match"

Have a look at this. I have no idea who he is and I don't really care, but I have a feeling this is a **** goos web site...

http://www.ashleyriggs.co.uk/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    Have a look at this. I have no idea who he is and I don't really care, but I have a feeling this is a **** goos web site...
    Just so I can make sense of the post - what does the last bit say Rice?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd
    Just so I can make sense of the post - what does the last bit say Rice?
    d a m n

good

website

I personally think that site is very colour lacking right idea but still a bit samey samey

how long did it take your site to get established and top billing in suffolk as buy all accord I should be right next to you ??? I have yet to recieve any bookings via the net but have buy other directories??

Quote Originally Posted by Have a disco
    how long did it take your site to get established and top billing in suffolk as buy all accord I should be right next to you ???
    How do you know that when you don't know how much work has gone in to search engine optomisation?

Rice, I think that site doesn't really give a one to one feeling with the guy running it, it seems overly produced, and with regards to not having the personal touch, a bit like microsoft/coca-cola/<insert big brand here>'s website.

With regards to your website, I think it could do with some work, and I'd say your lacking personal pictures, ie: you on the job, its all cartoon sort of style graphics, which doesn't give a viewer a sense of "wow thats the guy doing a party like ours, lets get him!". I'd say with real life images, for possible clients to look at you've got a broader chance of some bookings.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will
    Rice, I think that site doesn't really give a one to one feeling with the guy running it, it seems overly produced, and with regards to not having the personal touch, a bit like microsoft/coca-cola/<insert big brand here>'s website.

With regards to your website, I think it could do with some work, and I'd say your lacking personal pictures, ie: you on the job, its all cartoon sort of style graphics, which doesn't give a viewer a sense of "wow thats the guy doing a party like ours, lets get him!". I'd say with real life images, for possible clients to look at you've got a broader chance of some bookings.
    Please read my original post.

I am absolutely not interested in comments about my website - it's not about that and it's certainly not about the on eyou are looking at as that's not the one I get my work from - done deliberately I might add.

I am after some thoughts of attention grabbing home pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps
    Please read my original post.

I am absolutely not interested in comments about my website - it's not about that and it's certainly not about the on eyou are looking at as that's not the one I get my work from - done deliberately I might add.

I am after some thoughts of attention grabbing home pages
    There you go then, "thoughts of attention grabbing home pages" = Pictures of you working, showing yourself off to the maximum.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Rice you can't ask for people's views on attention grabbing homepages and ideas, and then say, don't comment on anything else!!

If you do this, people just won't bother replying at all for fear of saying something wrong.

I dont think Rice is exactly short of booking judging by recent posts.

Re the site on the link--anyone who offers to give you your money back worries me!

If you are really successful and professional you dont waste your time with that kind of stuff!

You are opening a can of worms--also remember for the rest of your life?

Fantastic function of dreams? Nope thats all asking for trouble and a refund!

Most people have difficulty remembering what they did last week!

However good you are you are going to hit the odd function which doesnt happen--not your fault but its bound to happen from time to time.

Perhaps like my ad--the guests will be talking about your function for years is more realistic.

I do agree-- quality pictures of people at functions enjoying themselves is a good idea---its called a picture gallery I believe!!!! Nothing new im afraid.

The linked site had plenty of names and venues--but no offers to talk to his happy clients or letters or emails etc--- I know you dont like that approach Rice but I keep telling you it works!

To return some buzzwords Rice to you which has got me loads of bookings this year--

Quality--Reliability--Professional Approach

Simply the best! Cue Tina--- :teeth:

There thats it--my bill is in your e mail box :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Good luck with it--im off to do some soldering

CRAZY K