Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Mackie Thump

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    400W peak rather than RMS.

It does make me laugh. Why not just put the power in RMS like they did with the 450s?
    Because they would only be 200W RMS and it wouldnt make them sound as powerful.

A few years ago, Maplin had a bass speaker in their car audio section listed as "1200W Bass Speaker (210w RMS)"

I'm using 450v2 and dBCromo 12s. I prefer the look of the Cromos, they sound fine, but are a nightmare to handle.
    The Mackies are good. Have enough power for most gigs (I rarely take both subs), and have good handles - so when lifting onto a stand, I know its not going to slip.

I did a sound-off with the W-Audio vs the Cromos at RSD, and IMO the Cromos sounded far better for not much more money.
    Bad news, there is still no carry bag for them..!

Worth a listen if you're looking for new but can't afford the Mackies.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

I'm toying with the idea of returning to active cabs, I cant be doing with lugging massively heavy amps around anymore (must be getting old lol). I'm considering the SRM450v2's and maybe one SRM1801 to start with - I may upgrade to two 1801's but at around £570, two would leave me stretched...

As I won't be upgrading for some time, I'll keep a lookout for some second hand ones.

Also, the 12" thumps would be ideal for my quiz nights and they are pretty cheap too.

Just one question regarding the SRM450v2's, do they get as hot as the original ones that I originally had - one even 'thermed' out on me at one gig

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of returning to active cabs, I cant be doing with lugging massively heavy amps around anymore (must be getting old lol). I'm considering the SRM450v2's and maybe one SRM1801 to start with - I may upgrade to two 1801's but at around £570, two would leave me stretched...

As I won't be upgrading for some time, I'll keep a lookout for some second hand ones.

Also, the 12" thumps would be ideal for my quiz nights and they are pretty cheap too.

Just one question regarding the SRM450v2's, do they get as hot as the original ones that I originally had - one even 'thermed' out on me at one gig
    Or invest in some lightweight amps - probably work out cheaper than buying a new set of actives.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Or invest in some lightweight amps - probably work out cheaper than buying a new set of actives.
    It's not just that really, I used to like the ease of set-up with my old Mackies, only reason I went passive was Peter's fault, we had a Mackie vs Class 'd' speaker-off and to be honest, my setup through the Class 'd's sounded so much nicer.

To be honest I think my Mackies were past their best - they had been used a lot for disco's and live band applications. The fact that I sold 2 'beaten up' SRM450's and a 1501 sub and bought a brand new 6 speaker Class 'd' set up for the same money is what eventually swayed it. I've benn using them for a good few years now and am mainly happy with the sound but they are starting to look past their best too - note to self - buy speaker bags for next lot.

Way too big, if the pub's the size you claim. W Audio PSR8A would suit you fine, I reckon.
    Apparently not. New lighter more reliable digital amp.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Well I can only speak from my point of veiw, I went active about 7 months ago, with a pair of SRM's which are the black V2's and have had them reasonably loud, they have never clipped or thermaled. Moving to active's was the best thing I did, for they same reason you are, to heavy gear and getting to old to lift it!

Daren

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Way too big, if the pub's the size you claim. W Audio PSR8A would suit you fine, I reckon.
    Just had a look at those, for under £150 and perfect at 150W - I think I may go for them - although I'm taking my 12" class 'd's tonight as it's the smallest I've got

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Apparently not. New lighter more reliable digital amp.
    Good to hear! I thought that must be the case but like to check these things.

Quote Originally Posted by sxboy View Post
    Well I can only speak from my point of veiw, I went active about 7 months ago, with a pair of SRM's which are the black V2's and have had them reasonably loud, they have never clipped or thermaled. Moving to active's was the best thing I did, for they same reason you are, to heavy gear and getting to old to lift it!

Daren
    That may have just swayed my decision then, ta.

Like I said I doubt it will be for a good 6 months yet but like to start looking at prices so I have an idea on budget... If the quizzes become a regular thing, they will eventually pay for the tops (at least)
    Last edited by JAMdisco; 03-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.

No, the 450V2s are superb tools, I dry hire them, so they will certainly have been 'fully used' and I've never had an issue with them, in fact I could do with some more, if anybody's selling a well looked after pair, PM me. I wouldn't touch Thumps if I were you, they're cheap for a reason.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Just saw the bit about the thumps, I bought them before the SRM's and imo they were pants for disco in a smallish room, the'll probably be ok for quizes as I used them for karaoke and they were ok, but disco's nah. ( Just to add I was not using a sub with the thumps and don't with the SRM's)

Daren