Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Sunday Weddings

Default Sunday Weddings

This has prob been discussed before but I'm just wondering how busy you are finding Sundays for Weddings. Surely I'm not the only one finding it the busiest day of the week.

I have posted on the thread about the NADJ, AMPDJ and SEDA day of seminars being bad for me on a sunday but no one else appears to be that bothered.

for 2011 I have 47 Sundays booked up all for Weddings or Wedding related functions llike Civil Partnership or Vow Renewal. 46 Saturdays which are 42 Wedding related and 41 Fridays out of which 37 are Wedding related. So no doubt that so far Sunday is my busiest Wedding day, last year it was 3 more in favour of Saturdays and the one before 7 more in favour of Saturdays.

I think the switch is due to several reasons not least the relaxing of rules for civil ceramonies and the fact that venues are sometimes discounting Sundays in order to fill them...And, of course we are becoming more of a 24/7 society and Sunday is no longer such a big day in terms of religion and family gatherings. When I was a kid it was a day of rest when all the family sat at the big table for dinner and then we all went to sleep for a bit and then we sat round the piano for the rest of the afternoon and as a special treat we could have Fluff with the top 40 on the radio while we ate Sunday tea...We had to eat tea quickly so we didn't have to sit and listen to Sing Something Simple....lol. Well maybe a bit OTT, I'm not that old but you know what I mean...The times are changing and Sunday is becoming like any other day of the week.

Sundays haven't really caught on "around here" yet, its still very much Saturdays that set the pace as the main day.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

We only seem to get Sunday weddings on bank holiday weekends in the main. The odd one or 2 otherwise.

I'd say you are lucky (& in the minority) to pick up that many extra bookings on top of the traditionally busy days of Friday & Saturday.

Edit: Just a thought, in the main, weddings that are on days other than Saturday,will attract less of a fee from venues etc, thus making them cheaper than the traditional "wedding day". I wonder if the affluence of an area would have any influence on the number of Sunday (or for that matter weekday) weddings?
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 24-02-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Not many. Mainly Friday and Sat.

I find sundays are for the people who want a cheap deal at the hotels.
    I don't get booked as i am not cheap
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Your DJ...I wouldn't say I am cheap and I take Steve's point too. In all truth a lot of my work is at one particular hotel which is about 20 minutes from me into Cheshire and it is a very afluant area with lots of footballers and famous people living close to the hotel and they all use the hotel too, they have a deal with the FA and Stoke City often stay there on the night before a home match and visiting teams often use it too, they also have deals with local theatres and TV companies etc. i.e. Jason Donovan is there at the moment...mind you dunno if that's anything to shout about. The Beckhams used the venue some years ago now just after I became the resident and since then they all want to use it.

I get £320 per night regardless of if its a Wedding or corp or anything else and also regardless of night of the week. I cannot sell things such as PA for back-ground, mics for speeches or screens for photos and presentations as its all installed to high standard and if you pay to use the venue you can use any facility they have inc. with the price. I do however get extra for being MC or Toast Master and on the odd job I put a floor in. On the other side I do the staff party FoC each year and also the 2 Wedding shows each year when I compare the floor show and provide the music...in fact the next one is coming up on 13 March.

The price is very high for the area where I live in N Staffs but for the area where the venue is in cheshire its low so as its only 20 mins away I feel its about right for me, also the staff are fabulous to work with and some of them are also personal friends and I never pay for a drink, coffee and food is never any problems either.

I guess that another consideration is that if you do a Sunday Wedding in a local pub or club then the chances are they are working class and maybe the party will end early as they have to go to work the next morning, however, this rarely happens for me as they are not working class and don't have the kind of jobs that they have to turn up to at 9am every day.

Andy,

Yes your right Sunday is becoming popular and you hit the nail on the head in that the venues are discounting to get clients through the door. Thursdays are also becoming increasingly popular too

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Sundays haven't really caught on "around here" yet, its still very much Saturdays that set the pace as the main day.
    ditto

Hi Scotty...how you doing, not spoken for ages, hope all is well with you.

Thursdays are prob the most pop out of the other week nights, had a corp this thursday, no expense spared and then the band was a few guys that worked for the particular company, not a real band, just jammed and practiced together a couple of times and TBH pretty poor and spoilt the night really.

i think the main reason you are getting all these Sunday weddings is because you are a resident at a very popular hotel

I probably only do a handful of Sunday Weddings per year, but im not affiliated with any venues, so this is logical

I know the big wedding venues are pretty packed out Fri/Sat/Sundays and even Thursdays with the odd Mon-Weds gig too!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Goodtimes View Post
    Hi Scotty...how you doing, not spoken for ages, hope all is well with you.
    Hi Andy im good thanks been very busy with various things I have on the go! I will give you a call would be good to catchup mate