Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got a mac running windows

Quote Originally Posted by Vectis View Post
    Right then. Glad we got that sorted. What you're saying is that in your opinion windoze is crap.

I agree.

But the OP asked whether mac hardware would run windoze OK.

The answer therefore is that it runs windoze as OK as any other compatible hardware would.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Got there in the end.

depends how you read that. Its a good feature and a useful tool for someone moving from windows to mac.

You will honestly not need it after a week as you can get plug ins and applications for almost all windows files now.
    Ahh yes I see.

Mac runs windows fine, yes.

(but it's still windows)

Gharbud - Out of interest what do you want to do on windows that your mac can't do?

I have been running a macbook pro under bootcamp with windows 7 for some time now with VDJ Pro and running video discos without any issues. I run it using timecode CDJ 1000 mk3s and Technics SL120s.

CPu use barely goes above 10% and runs every bit as good as any windows laptop could.

The reason I run under windows is because there are better plugins for VDJ for windows and from habit because of the way OSX protects system memory.

When I used to run Traktor under OSX if I ever had an issue with an mp3 OSX would shut the program instantly which could be very embarrassing. Under Windows the program just refused to load the track or if it crashed it would continue to the end of the playing track and didnt take the whole program down giving plenty of time to switch to a backup source.
    Northamptonshires Premier Video Disco • Northamptonshire based PAT Testing
    -----
    Pioneer DJM 2000, Apple MacBook Pro 17", 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk III, 2 x Technics SL1210, Virtual DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJ James Lake View Post
    Traktor under OSX if I ever had an issue with an mp3 OSX would shut the program instantly
    God thats not very good!

you have to go through about three steps to leave Serato and it has never crashed. Must have used it at over 1000 gigs.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

God thats not very good!

you have to go through about three steps to leave Serato and it has never crashed. Must have used it at over 1000 gigs.
    I am not talking about choosing to leave the program I am talking about what happens in the event of a program crash caused by a corrupt mp3 or a just the program having a flip out. Guess you've been very lucky without a single crash.

Traktor and VDJ on OSX instantly shut the program, no warning, nothing.

On windows the programs freezes but carries on playing the audio to the end of the track this was part of the reason I run VDJ on windows over OSX

I cant comment on Serato as I dont use it but as this is based on how OSQ protects system memory It would more than likely be exactly the same.

Trust me when I say you couldnt get a much bigger mac fan I have been using macs professionally and personally since 1988 and love them but for DJing with I rather use the OS that gives me a bit of time to switch to a backup in the event of a computer having a hissy fit which Is why I use a macbook and bootcamp it so i have the choice to use OSX for everything else and use the windows side for DJing
    -----
    Pioneer DJM 2000, Apple MacBook Pro 17", 2 x Pioneer CDJ 1000 Mk III, 2 x Technics SL1210, Virtual DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJ James Lake View Post
    I am not talking about choosing to leave the program I am talking about what happens in the event of a program crash caused by a corrupt mp3 or a just the program having a flip out. Guess you've been very lucky without a single crash.

Traktor and VDJ on OSX instantly shut the program, no warning, nothing.

On windows the programs freezes but carries on playing the audio to the end of the track this was part of the reason I run VDJ on windows over OSX

I cant comment on Serato as I dont use it but as this is based on how OSQ protects system memory It would more than likely be exactly the same.

Trust me when I say you couldnt get a much bigger mac fan I have been using macs professionally and personally since 1988 and love them but for DJing with I rather use the OS that gives me a bit of time to switch to a backup in the event of a computer having a hissy fit which Is why I use a macbook and bootcamp it so i have the choice to use OSX for everything else and use the windows side for DJing
    I'm not having a go just thought traktor would be a bit better as allot of prodj's use the mac traktor combination and I have not had that issue with Serato.

Are you not sure its your macs specs causing the problems I always restart my mac and never use any other programs (such as virtual machines) unless I need them.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

i use parallels for one windows app - it can be a pull on resources when you have a few things open, but its perfectly useable - my imac is 3 years old, so newer macs/updated virtualization software will be a breeze.

I used to use VMware, but it caused typical pc problems and so I got rid of it and have never looked back.

In my humble opinion if you really need to run a windows programme, and you can't find a Mac product that will do a better job, then you can use Windows ... but life is better if you don't.
    Counting my blessings

Unique, Elegant and Fun Wedding Disco Entertainment
    http://www.thepartydj.co.uk

Mac running Parallels with 7 on it with nothing else running slows everything down massively! Don't know how Microsoft manage to do it! >_< Use it for things when i really need windoz! 4gb ram, 2.4 core 2 duo...

So yes it does but with all the same niggles as a normal PC.

I'm not having a go just thought traktor would be a bit better as allot of prodj's use the mac traktor combination and I have not had that issue with Serato.

Are you not sure its your macs specs causing the problems I always restart my mac and never use any other programs (such as virtual machines) unless I need them.
    Definitely not the issue, I am running an i5 processor 27" imac with 4gb of ram and a dedicated 17" macbook pro dual core 2.66mhz for DJing with both top of the range and can easily run the programs.

I know macs inside out and know exactly how to run a clean OS, as I said its not specific to a program like Traktor or VDJ its the way OSX protects system memory and well documented as a feature of OSX its good for most applications as a crash will not take down the whole system. The downside though is if a program such as VDJ, Traktor, Serato or any other Dj program encounters a problem which can happen on the most stable of systems (even caused by fluctuations in a venues power suppy) you will get a sudden shut down of a program.

Windows doesn't handle crashes in the same way and gives you time to switch to backup.
    -----