Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iam I being to harsh here

No. Canceling your future events with the pub, should kick him back into line. Sorry to hear about it. But yeah contracts
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Since you don't have a written contract with the pub for the upcoming gigs why even send a letter to him cancelling. Play him at his own game and give him no warning. Not exactly professional but neither was he. (I'm not being entirely serious...but it would serve him right)

Alternatively call him up on the afternoon of the gig and tell him that before you turn up for the gig you expect to be paid the balance for the last event...PLUS the fee for the current event which will be £50 extra on top of the agreed price...payment upfront. You've nothing to lose as you would have been cancelling anyway.

In future...CONTRACTS!!! (just incase anyone hasn't mentioned it )

Disregard all of my postings tonight. I'm feeling unusually sarcastic. I forgot to take my medication today

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ
    Disregard all of my postings tonight. I'm feeling unusually sarcastic. I forgot to take my medication today

stay off the meds mate, its been very funny, I just been posting to get a remark back :teeth: :teeth:
    THE FUNKYMIKE EXPERIENCE
    Now up and running The funkymike experience, the next level......
    KARAOKE like it should be

Not sure its all about contracts, payment up front or any of that. The golden rule of charity work is to agree the fee up front, and then make the gesture up front if you are going to make one (even allow a bit more). And make sure you publicise the fact quite forthright at the right time. As soon as you realised, I would have got it agreed then and announced it on the microphone.

At the end of the night, the baying dog pack is after blood, once someone like a **** of bar manager leads them on, and you are in a no win situation.

Not sure about cancelling the gigs, for the same reason, its your living, and the next job is the next job. But I doubt you will get 'bitten' by this again somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrough
    Not sure its all about contracts, payment up front or any of that.
    Both of those stipulations would have avoided the situation altogether though.

Quote Originally Posted by Murrough
    Not sure its all about contracts, payment up front or any of that. The golden rule of charity work is to agree the fee up front, and then make the gesture up front if you are going to make one (even allow a bit more). And make sure you publicise the fact quite forthright at the right time. As soon as you realised, I would have got it agreed then and announced it on the microphone.

At the end of the night, the baying dog pack is after blood, once someone like a **** of bar manager leads them on, and you are in a no win situation.

Not sure about cancelling the gigs, for the same reason, its your living, and the next job is the next job. But I doubt you will get 'bitten' by this again somehow.

I assumed the fee was and also agreed the same as the other dj who had been working there before, but I didnt know it was charity until the night i got there, and baying dog pack it was, hence no point arguing the toss in front off them all, and I dont want to sound big headed but I dont need gigs in pubs like that, and i heard the othe dj refuded to do anymore more gigs (just disco) because he also said that landlord was a knob. :teeth:
    THE FUNKYMIKE EXPERIENCE
    Now up and running The funkymike experience, the next level......
    KARAOKE like it should be

Do you think so?, Im not so sure. The contract would not be worth the paper its written on, and that bar manager, may have symbolically torn it up with the dog pack as an approach. Payment up front, yes I agree would, after all you have your money. But after a scene like this, your name would be mud, and you do need repeat bookings and not 'dont use him, he's a **** DJ' comments.

I still say take hold of the situation as early as possible, and control it on your terms with a pro-active approach, irrespective of cash up front or contract.

I say this because I got caught out about 7 years back. Turned up for what I thought was a 200 quid job, only for the event organiser to say no it was a charity, the told the agency la la la, and they would cover 'expenses' up to 30 quid for fuel. Without letting on, I thought '****' I cant win this, so I said one sec, I'll go and get me folder (my get out line). I then cam back with an empty envelope and said' Yes thats right, we agreed our fee of 200 and said we would waive it so you could donate it to the cause, and we would take 25 for expenses (i cut it by fiver, no big deal now), could you announce this on the mike for us. SHe agreed, and thanked me and everyone cheered, loadsa people came up thanking me, very nice gesture and I did pick up work afterwards for higher rates than I normally charge.
    Last edited by Murrough; 28-08-2006 at 10:56 PM.

alternativly nip round to the pub at closing time and give hima doing....

forget that might be a bit harsh...
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnics
    alternativly nip round to the pub at closing time and give hima doing....

forget that might be a bit harsh...
    Good old Scottish Payment Terms eh?