Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing trailers - the facts

Quote Originally Posted by woody2 View Post
    i would get that in writing..... as it wrong

if you are using for business use you do need to use a tacho, but if on a weekend you want to put say your race car in the back to take to the pod you don't

vehicle inspectorate at leeds know their stuff and will come out to you if you have any questions
    Yes you still need an operators licence you need the Orange restricted licence.
    Should anyone require help applying for an Operators Licence I can offer help.
    I hold a Standard National CPC and various other transport related certificates.
    The application will take about 12 - 16 weeks from sending in the forms together with your newspaper advert and all relevant paper work regarding to maintenance and safety inspections.
    Finances are also taken into consideration you will have to show that you have access to I believe £6500 at all times for the first vehicle.
    Application does not guarantee that you will get the licence but at the time of application you should also apply for an interim licence.
    Then you get into the tacho situation the charts need to be kept for a minimum of 12 months. Then you have got drivers Hours…..I could go on but it will make really boring reading.

Cowlinn So of I want to tow a trailer, how would i go about dong it? (passed test 2010)
    Look up HGV driving schools there are a couple in the Harlow area but tests for car
    and trailers are few and far between due to the lack of people taking tests you may have to wait.
    Last edited by Corabar Entertainment; 08-03-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Sorry meant to add that woody2's info was bang on.
    You will not be able to fool either VOSA or The Vehicle Inspectorate.

I got told today that the new photo driving licence only last for 10 years - the paper part until you are 70. I looked at mine and sure enough it runs out in 2013, the girl along side me also did the same and her date was Feb 2010!
    By all accounts it will invalidate your insurance if it has run out.
    You have to pay to renew it like your passport.
    Did I miss this sneaking in?
    High quality bespoke wedding entertainment
    www.thepinkelephantcompany.co.uk
    part of 'The Pink Elephant Entertainment Company Ltd'

Sorry forgot to say being an old fart my licence is the version that means I can drive 7.5T and also tow.
    Do new drivers have to wait a certain amount of time before they can take the trailer test?
    High quality bespoke wedding entertainment
    www.thepinkelephantcompany.co.uk
    part of 'The Pink Elephant Entertainment Company Ltd'

Nope, you can take the trailer test as soon as you pass the regular test.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

You would have to be towing something fairly serious to get over 3.5 tonne. I tow to every job and have a twin axle braked number.

If you are getting a trailer, get a twin axle as they are much more stable (harder to move about by hand though) and less likely to fishtail around. Also watch how you load them as you need to think about weight distribution to a degree again to stop them fishtailing about behind you.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    You would have to be towing something fairly serious to get over 3.5 tonne. I tow to every job and have a twin axle braked number.

If you are getting a trailer, get a twin axle as they are much more stable (harder to move about by hand though) and less likely to fishtail around. Also watch how you load them as you need to think about weight distribution to a degree again to stop them fishtailing about behind you.

Don’t forget it is gross weight of 3500kgs or 4250 kgs MAM which includes the vehicle towing it.
    I typical tow a van type trailer weighs in a 400kgs giving a load of 350kgs.

Just because the trailer is rated higher it doesn't mean that you can load it and tow it legally.

As previously stated business users will and DO require an operator’s licence if the vehicle and trailer combination exceeds 4250kgs or on vehicles exceeding 3500kgs.

Also how many people service there trailers or have the brakes (on braked trailers) by a competent person periodically?
    Just as a note trailers when being towed on a public highway still have to meet legal requirements with regards to tyres, brakes etc as set out in the constuction and use regulations.
    Small trailers are exempt from mot's but need to be kept in a roadworthy condition.