Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Pre-Wiring Truss - Looking for Solutions.

Default Pre-Wiring Truss - Looking for Solutions.

I'm looking to speed up the set up time by a few mins and would like to pre-wire my truss.

If you've done this how's it been done? Cable tying the cables to the truss or an additional fixture fixed into the truss?

I'm in the process of DMXing all the fixtures in sweetlight, so would be keen find best solution for pre-wiring both DMX and power.

I use either 2m or 4m of truss depending upon space available.

Over to you

what about getting a piece of trucking?

Quote Originally Posted by Meltmusicdj View Post
    what about getting a piece of trucking?
    16 or 18 wheeler????

Alan I am glad you asked this as i am thinking the same

For power I'd consider using the 4 way IEC (F) distro boxes (comes out on 1 x IEC (M). Just depends on the power rating of the units your plugging in most IEC connectors are limited to 6amp. You could easily get 2 of these to each bar. This would only result in 2 mains leads for each section (these could come down each side).

I use a dual bar with this approach the boxes have self adhesive cable tie mounts on the back and are cable tied to the cross braces.

I've done mine so one power supply runs up each end to the distro, this means there is no power link between the 2 bars needed

To hide the mains leads I would use wide Cable trunking, cables tied through the back onto the truss.

As for DMX links from the one side and go up into the trunking protecting the cable using cable glands. I would then put in / out DMX links every so often for both sections. On my dual bar I have one DMX link which is the output on the last link on the first section that breaks on the join, if I was to ony use one section I could use this to link down towards and floor mounted effects or terminate it.

by wiring both sections up the same it allows either section to be swappable and allows DMX in / DMX on both sections.

My 2.4m dual bar has 8 DMX and Power links If I drop one effect in each section I just link the spare DMX cons up.

Hopefully you'll get the jist if not I'll see if I have any drawings of how I did my cross bar.

Originally for the power I used several 4 x IEC (F) leads to one x bulgin (M) Spider, with one bulgin lead coming down from each and then a spider at the point of power changing each bulgin to 4 x 13a plug top. I based this on old methods of basic theatre lighting power.

Hope this helps give you some idea's

I don't know if this helps, but I use a Transcension Show Director, which is a two part system. The controller sits in my flightcase, and the distribution unit sits on the overhead. Two wires connect the pair. Rather than lashing my loom to the overhead, I have it loose, but all wired together. This way, I can swap lighting rigs easily. All I have to do to change rigs is to use a different loom.

Many folk don't like the largish distribution unit on the overhead, but with a bigger bar like I use, it can be hidden behind fixtures.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I also use the Transcension show directors - in fact 2 of them - 1 on each gantry.

I have the relevent patch leads and dmx in each light box or bag
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Don't know if you are still looking for a solution Alan. If so I use 50mm x 50mm trunking with IEC's fitted into the removable cover situated at each point there is a light fixture and then just cable tie the DMX cables to the truss.

I've have considerably cut down the time on setting up as I have pre-wired my bars.
    I have the 4ft Ultimax stand and what I have done on the 2 x T-bars is as follows:
    I fixed all of the lights I wanted on to the bars with either G-Clamps or used the pre-drilled holes on the Ultimax as below:

Sparkle-Mystic-Dynamo-LED Panel-LED Panel-Dynamo-Mystic-Sparkle

I used IEC Y Connectors for the LED Panels & Sparkles and the same for the Dynamos & Mystics. Cable tied everything so it was safe and hidden and labelled everything on the 8 Way Switch Box that goes underneath the stand. It took a while to do but was so worth it.

I must admit, I generally keep the fixtures on the bars. They are all protected with spunge when transported and when they are in the lock up, they are covered with a plastic sheeting and then a heavy duty dust sheet. They don't get dusty or damaged at all. They aren't even that heavy either and all I need to do is position them, connect them to the 8 Way Switch Box and it's the lighting done.

http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.