Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I know you meant those. I have 4 of them too. I was just saying that my more expensive iMoves are definitely classed as budget lighting too.

And can you control them easily Shaun?
    It depends what you mean by control. The in-built programmes work great, but a cheap basic DMX controller will allow you to control gobo selection, rotation, focus, prism etc, . Should you you want more advanced control such as generating your own scenes and movements then it's the same as every DMX capable light...you'll have to put in the extra work and do some programming.

After seeing Darren's & Shaun's superb podiums with moving heads, I've decided I want some.
    Putting a cold calculating business head on - are they going to get you anymore bookings? Will they actually make you money? You seem to get quality bookings with what you have already.

They are lovely things to have, and give an impressive lightshow, but are they an essential purchase or a new toy?

Nothing wrong with new toys of course, but could the money be put elsewhere to improve your business? (rather than improving your lightshow).

Or even save/invest/ISA the money?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Putting a cold calculating business head on - are they going to get you anymore bookings? Will they actually make you money? You seem to get quality bookings with what you have already.

They are lovely things to have, and give an impressive lightshow, but are they an essential purchase or a new toy?

Nothing wrong with new toys of course, but could the money be put elsewhere to improve your business? (rather than improving your lightshow).

Very true.

I don't really need them. It's just another toy at the end of the day. I always tell people on here not to waste their money, so I'm being very hypocritical.

That grand could pay for my driving lessons which would probably be a better investment.

This is where I'm not business minded. As soon as I've got some money to spend, I blow it. I can't/don't seem to save anything. Hopefully I will grow out of this mentality soon.

Very true.

I don't really need them. It's just another toy at the end of the day. I always tell people on here not to waste their money, so I'm being very hypocritical.

That grand could pay for my driving lessons which would probably be a better investment.

This is where I'm not business minded. As soon as I've got some money to spend, I blow it. I can't/don't seem to save anything. Hopefully I will grow out of this mentality soon.
    Was that really you typing then Charlie???????

They won't get you anymore bookings as such. I should know I've got 4 that don't get used myself

If you do find there's a gig you need them for then dry hire could be your way ahead. There's enough of us near you that have them (Me, Ben) so always a deal to be done.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

2 moving heads or the ability to drive yourself to gigs, tough decision for a mobile DJ that one

Very true.

Go on, book the driving lessons, it's the boring but sensible option (and driving must help you advance in your day job). In a few months you'll be ready to buy a car and imagine all the posts you can get out of that

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wild View Post
    2 moving heads or the ability to drive yourself to gigs, tough decision for a mobile DJ that one
    Think Charlie misunderstood the 'moving' part!

In a few months you'll be ready to buy a car and imagine all the posts you can get out of that
    LMFAO !

If you can live without the rotating gobos then the American DJ X Move is a great light for the money. I bought the original versions (not the plus) from another forum member a few months back, I was going to sell them but they are now booked out for a couple of weddings that require a slightly bigger rig. I believe the plus versions are supposed to be slightly brighter although having seen them in action, I am not so sure.

The in built programs are excellent, I actually rarely bother hooking them up to a DMX controller as the programs are that good (I just master/slave them sound to light without even a basic controller once the party is in full swing). Seriously bright for an LED light too - would look great with your EFXs.

I am a TOTAL gear snob yet I can safely say all the American DJ stuff I have bought has turned out to be brilliant (well written instructions, good support etc). I even replaced my Denon MC6000 with an American DJ DP2 controller although I did have to spend weeks creating a decent Traktor mapping for it.

I am very wary about buying budget gear after having very bad experiences with the likes of Db Technologies and Acme so I don't blame you for wanting to buy the best you can for your money, my advice woudl be to try demoing your shorlist if you can get to a decent retailer.
    Atac Digital - DJ hire in Edinburgh and the Lothians
    http://atacdigital.co.uk/dj-hire/