Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32bit or 64

Default 32bit or 64

hi guys, im having a few issues with vdj at the moment wen loading videos and long tracks, keeps giving me decompression errors not enough physical ram??, im currently using a macbook pro 2007, with 4gb ram installed, and windows xp 32bit, on system it says that i only have 2.98?? so im presuming that is its maxium for that operating system, so i then installed vista 32bit home and i then get 3052mb but still not the 4gb, so then tried win 7 ultimate 32bit, (all copies of operating systems are legal by the way), and that says 4gb (2.98 usable, so what ive been reading if i get hold of the vista 64bit version or win7 64bit, i can access all my memory? thankyou

I've got a 64bit PC and would also like to know the difference between this and the 32bit machines .... ?

I brought some software the other day and it said CALL FOR 64bit CODE :?

Most modern Intel processors are 64-bit capable, certainly Atoms.
    This will allow them to handle 64-bit numbers (so fairly precise floating point), and more importantly for most of us, address more memory.

WinXP with 2GB of RAM on a Dual-Core processor is ample for VDJ on 2 Decks playing MP3. Nothing has changed..

To the OP, you'll never see the full 4GB on a 32-bit OS. This also assumes you have a separate graphics adapter with its own memory...
    I'm on 32Bit Linux here, but have 4GB of Ram on this laptop

I'd say there are other issues if you're getting memory problems. Either other apps, corrupt files, OS problems etc.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

I'd describe it in layman's terms as.....going from a playstation 2 to a playstation 3

If you're playing back video files live, then i'd suggest getting as much memory as you can and a dedicated graphices card (although i'm not sure you can for laptops?)

Win xp can only support 3 gb ram, although i've read elsewhere you can get 64 bit versions of xp now? not sure about that though.

Win xp 64 bit has been around for years, not very good though, windows 7 64bit on the other hand, is great.

Can all this 64bit windows 7 thing help when it comes to internet speeed thou ?

Quote Originally Posted by gharbud View Post
    hi guys, im having a few issues with vdj at the moment wen loading videos and long tracks, keeps giving me decompression errors not enough physical ram??, im currently using a macbook pro 2007, with 4gb ram installed, and windows xp 32bit, on system it says that i only have 2.98?? so im presuming that is its maxium for that operating system, so i then installed vista 32bit home and i then get 3052mb but still not the 4gb, so then tried win 7 ultimate 32bit, (all copies of operating systems are legal by the way), and that says 4gb (2.98 usable, so what ive been reading if i get hold of the vista 64bit version or win7 64bit, i can access all my memory? thankyou
    Macbook Pro 2007... Shame it has got Windows on it.. Oh well.
    Jay Price - Disco Promotions Ltd - Making Every Event Count

Areas: West Midlands & Warwickshire

Quote Originally Posted by Takeiteasy View Post
    Can all this 64bit windows 7 thing help when it comes to internet speeed thou ?

No... unless you're running a busy server (and have the RAM to support it).

For your use, typical internet speeds are slow. If you're running lots of other apps (Games, Office and a few Browser instances), then I guess you may see a minor slowdown if the PC is paging to disk due to low ram.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

Well thank that clears that up

Quote Originally Posted by gharbud View Post
    Now just to clarify i dont own a Apple product (wish i did) but for:

1: Why has it got windows installed ?
    2: Try and get it back to Apple product as you will find it alot better
    3: Once back on Apple im sure you will find it wont get the error (Might be wrong and will await Vectis to rectify me)
    3: If you do stick with Windows (No idea why though) have you tryed XP as that is the lowest resource using OS apart from Win95 which im 99.9% wont do you any favours.

Im currently running Vist 32bit on home pc with 4gb ram and a quad core processor and it handles all my design appz (i do have alot and i mean alot) and i can run VDJ 7 very easily without any lag/errors etc etc

On my backup lappy for gigs i have a Dell with XP Pro and i run VDJ 6 on there and it runs very smoothly, every so often it goes right up on the CPU loading level but its only got 1gb ram installed

I think personnally you might be better off formating you main HDD and getting it back to Apple and then sort VDJ out for the Mac.

But again i dont own a Apple product so im litterally going off experiance etc
    Dave