Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Help on a funny smelling amp!

Default Help on a funny smelling amp!

I’ve been checking some of my equipment for a gig I have coming up and in checking the back up amp I noticed it had a strange smell, sort of plasticy.
    It’s a Mackie M3000 amp, the amp has hardly been used as it’s a backup and it’s been stored in a dry environment.
    I was wondering if it’s something I should be concerned with or if it’s something that will disappear. I know these amps get quite hot before the fan kicks in, around 50oC.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing.
    It was here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaysdisco View Post
    I’ve been checking some of my equipment for a gig I have coming up and in checking the back up amp I noticed it had a strange smell, sort of plasticy.
    It’s a Mackie M3000 amp, the amp has hardly been used as it’s a backup and it’s been stored in a dry environment.
    I was wondering if it’s something I should be concerned with or if it’s something that will disappear. I know these amps get quite hot before the fan kicks in, around 50oC.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Daft question, you dusted off the fans and vents etc...?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I second that chances are if it's not been used in a while dust could well have settled on the heat sinks or tudorial transformer maybe if you have access to a compressor blow the vents and fan through with a airline or buy one of those aresol air dusters

Sounds like the amp could do with a bit of a service.

If you feel confident (not teaching how to suck eggs), if possible, take off the case lid and give the insides a bit of a clean with a soft brush.

Also gives you a chance to take a look at the guts and see if anything is burnt at all.

Turn if OFF now and send it off to be repaired becuase by the sounds of it its on its last legs..... could be something simple and an easy fix but play it safe and send it off

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Daft question, you dusted off the fans and vents etc...?
    There’s not a spec of dust on them, the amp has hardly been used and as the fan doesn’t kick in until it gets hot, I don’t think it has been able to draw dust in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Sounds like the amp could do with a bit of a service.

If you feel confident (not teaching how to suck eggs), if possible, take off the case lid and give the insides a bit of a clean with a soft brush.

Also gives you a chance to take a look at the guts and see if anything is burnt at all.
    I may have to do this, I am reluctant as the amp weighs a ton and it’s going to be a pig getting it out of its case.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeiteasy View Post
    Turn if OFF now and send it off to be repaired becuase by the sounds of it its on its last legs..... could be something simple and an easy fix but play it safe and send it off
    I hope it’s not on its last legs; its probably only had 10 hours of light work.
    I have turned it off, I have only had it running for about 10 minutes and once I noticed the smell I turned it off.

It’s looking like at the very least I am going to have to get it out of its case, yet another job for me.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing.
    It was here first.