Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why ban Soundcloud?

Default Why ban Soundcloud?

Genuine question to the Mods/Admins?

I can understand the copyright issue and agree with your stance if the poster has the "Download" link enabled on their mix, but if its disabled then I cant see the issue...it then becomes no different to posting YouTube links.

Just a thought, but why not allow it with the very specific instruction that enabling the mix to be downloaded will not be tolerated on the forum?

Steve

http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Thanks for putting this up Steve. I was a little baffled, as my post was screened and the clip was only meant to be demonstrative. I'd rather not up to Youtube to be honest just for the purposes of streaming a small audio clip, so I'd be curious to know if there are another other suggestions apart from hosting it on our server and linking it there?

I'm not familiar with the site but if people have posted mixes that are streamed/broadcasted then I presume there would need to be some some sort of licensing involved? It's possible that it's all above board and were being overly-cautious, but until we've had time to look into this further then we've instructed our moderators not to allow sound cloud links for the time being.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Hopefully we'll have a definite answer soon for you.

I've had a very brief look..

From soundcloud.....

Am I allowed to upload any audio & music file to my account?
    You may upload your originally created audio and/or music files to which you hold all appropriate permissions and rights. If you're not sure if you have all necessary rights, please review our terms of use and community guidelines below:
    http://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use
    http://soundcloud.com/community-guidelines Permalink Back to top
    As far as I can see you need to have the rights or correct liscensing to upload and broadcast any recordings that are copyrighted. As far as I can see it's a legal minefield at first glance. I'll read the the site in more detail when I have more time and hopefully be able to give a more definitive answer to the OP.
    Last edited by Shaun; 04-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.

It may be a legal minefield. But I am almost certain MDD would not be breaking ANY laws regarding copyright if they allowed members to share thier "soundcloud" links.

Could we have a "soundcloud" sub forum? Pretty please

Supplying Premier DJ's for Weddings,
    Birthdays & Social Events.

www.basingstokediscos.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic Events View Post
    Could we have a "soundcloud" sub forum? Pretty please
    A few posts in and we appear to be going around in circles already.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Until we've had time to look into this further then we've instructed our moderators not to allow sound cloud links for the time being.
    Last edited by Shaun; 04-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.

A few posts in and we appear to be going around in circles already.
    I wouldnt say you were going round in circles.

Im just in favour of sharing links and really see no "legal" complications for MDD in doing so

You obviously aren't listening to what Shaun has posted, so I am closing this thread until we have had time to discuss it.

Just to wrap this up...

No soundcloud (or similar) links either directly or via facebook etc are to be posted on the forum. Sorry.

Posting mixes without the permission of the copyright holder is still illegal here in the UK. Maybe someday the UK will adopt a fair usage policy similar to the one in the US, but as it currently stands posting mixes of your sets (whether streamed or downloadble) isn't entirely legal unless you have permission from the copyright holder.
    For the above reason we cannot allow soundcloud (or similar) links. Whilst I'd also enjoy hearing mixes of our members, the MDD has always strived to promote best practice, especially when it comes to legality within our industry. So untill the law changes we just can't allow it.

I know it's not the answer people want to hear but it is what it is. Sorry.
    Last edited by Shaun; 05-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Facebook are basically screwed then - Most of my DJ friends are constantly sharing soundcloud links on Facebook.

I dont personally have a soundcloud account that I upload mixes to. However, I'd be interested in hearing fellow forum members work.

Could we perhaps start a thread detailing peoples soundcloud usernames (no links)

For example - Mine is removed by the admin
    Last edited by Shaun; 05-05-2011 at 02:02 PM.