Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackie SRM 450 V1 vs V2

Wel I have just bought a pair of V2's and the shop told me that they have only just started restocking mackie gear, after a 2 year gap. They said that the V1's in grey were great, but when the blue V2's came out, they were returning 1 speaaker from every 2 purchased, so they dropped mackie. They now have a black V2 version which are ok, apparently (I hope so as these are the ones I have just bought) I have used them a couple of times so far and they don't seem to get too hot.
    As far as I can make out there is another black vesion but the badges are diidferent, they have they "running man" logo and the Mackie name on, these are also deemed not very good. The one I have V2B just have the "running man" logo at the bottom of the grill, and are supposed to be alot better.

All this info came from the shop I bought them from, so you may have take it with a pinch of salt!

Cheers,
    Daren

Quote Originally Posted by kieran Griff View Post
    obvo not, could be a little considerate though
    Sorry I didn't mean it to sound harsh, it's just i'm very blunt when it comes to my opinion and I tell it how it is. I feel voicing my opinion is the best way really, and in a lot of cases it can be a life saver (not litterally obviously) to people who're thinking about buying a piece of equipment. If you tell them your honest opinion it can save them from making a mistake and buying something they might not be 100% happy with. A case of this was when my friend asked me about the JBL JRX125 cabs and he was dead set on them, but he'd never heard them. I told him that in my opinion they were crap, they sound muddy and harsh, and told him to look at a pair of MRX515 instead because they have great midrange clarity and get damn loud for their size. Then finally he heard the JRX125 cabs in a shop and came back to me and said "god rick, thank you ever so much, I heard the JRX cabs and yeah they sound awful".

Sorry if it offended anyone.

sxboy,
    That might be due to Mackie being owned by Loud Technologies. In 2003 Loud Technologies bought out the Mackie company, moved manufacturing to China and started using cheap parts. I've lost count how many times i've heard people say their Mackie gear has failed time and time again. One shop I rang when I was interested in a pair of JBL MRX515 cabs said they had a whole load of Mackie SRM1801 subs, they sold every one and every one came back in for repair within 2 weeks. They had to get Loud Technologies technicians in to repair them on site because they refused at first to accept them all because it would cost them too much money in couriers. Plus after they'd all been repaired, half came back in again for repair and customers asked for refunds. Then the shop stopped dealing with Mackie. Greag Mackie must be going nuts about what Loud Technologies have done to ruin the company that bares Greg Mackie's name.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 22-05-2011 at 01:53 PM.

I had the V2's and for the money they are not bad at all!

Might lighter than the V1's. Just a little too much on the high end. Nothing a bit of EQ can't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Teknovibe View Post
    They had to get Loud Technologies technicians in to repair them on site because they refused at first to accept them all because it would cost them too much money in couriers.
    Strange, because as far as I'm aware, Loud dont have technicians, they only employ other companies as official repair centres, or is that what you meant?

I've had / used both. V1 and V2.

Weight wise....very little in it. Still a pain in the arse getting them in and out.

Both are great speakers and i've never had a problem with them.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

On 450 v2 here.
    I've had there for a few years. They DO sound a bit harsh when up close (as DJ's are ..)
    but.... if you listen a few meters away (as most guest do), it does disperse pretty well.

Last night was a Maquee wedding, with 2 x 450s, active subs, and it sounded very good.

Some V1's did overheat due to their PSU, but I would assume that by now, they would have been fixed or don't have that problem.
    Wedding DJ Hertfordshire
    Hertfordshire based DJ, also covering Essex and North London.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Strange, because as far as I'm aware, Loud dont have technicians, they only employ other companies as official repair centres, or is that what you meant?
    Well I thought Loud Technologies was a distributer, but they own EAW now as well, and the shop I spoke to just said Loud Technologies tech guys came into repair them so i'm not sure if the shop meant Loud's tech guys or tech guys contracted by Loud Technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Some V1's did overheat due to their PSU, but I would assume that by now, they would have been fixed or don't have that problem.
    The 450's I have (as backup) still overheat. I have a custom fan attached to the back so it's not so much of an issue.

If in doubt - pop over to the Mackie site and go through the SRM 450 posts in their forum......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] www.sounds2go.co.uk
    Pen behind the ear ...