Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop Help

Default Laptop Help

It looks like my trusty HP is dying after five years of good service.

I do everything on my laptop - invoices, emails, facebook, DJ, store my music, pictures, edit videos, play games and surf the web.

It cost a fortune but has done me proud. I'm a bit anxious because I have a gig on Saturday and it's my backup. 99% chance I can get it fixed tomorrow as a temporarily measure but I need something safe for long term.

Any suggestions as to what you guys us?

No more than £800/900. I have been toying with Apple but I think I want to stick with Windows.

Cheers in advance.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

You can spend as much as you like, but your main problem is...

I do everything on my laptop - invoices, emails, facebook, DJ, store my music, pictures, edit videos, play games and surf the web.
    No matter what the spec, that is a serious gamble!

Even if you re-formatted this one and got a cheap PC for all the office work, you'd probably get years more out of it and have no issues if you used it purely for DJing.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

I agree with Dan. I have one PC (desktop) that is the "office" computer and for general web stuff. Then two laptops dedicated for DJ use only (one is backup but also runs the photo presentation when needed).
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Same as Dan and Steve here.

2 laptops for business, 1 pc for general use (surfing web, emails, abit of gaming, etc etc and 3 pc's for designing (even tho one is hooked up for media use)
    Dave

all mac here,would never go back.
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member

I know but a good solid business HP laptop has done the trick.

If you spend a serious amount on a good machine, I've found you can get away with anything?

What do you use guys?

http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...c=y#productTop

It's a basic machine now but sturdy and strong...that's what I'm after.

The first question that springs to mind is... what exactly is wrong with the current laptop? Is it beyond ecomonical repair?

I agree with what some of the others have said - you'd be better with more than one machine, don't throw all your eggs into one basket etc.

My current machine is fine. This is the fourth time the charger has failed on me. It overheats very easily but I should be able to pick one up tomorrow.

I have meaning to get another laptop for some time and this evenings tragedy prompted me.

Matty - I would love one, but I can't splash out two grand yet. I need something with a big screen. My current screen is 17 inches - I don't really want to go below that. Cheers for tempting me anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    My current machine is fine. This is the fourth time the charger has failed on me. It overheats very easily but I should be able to pick one up tomorrow.

I have meaning to get another laptop for some time and this evenings tragedy prompted me.

Matty - I would love one, but I can't splash out two grand yet. I need something with a big screen. My current screen is 17 inches - I don't really want to go below that. Cheers for tempting me anyhow.
    Fair enough if you need a big screen.