Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balance payment is late

Default Balance payment is late

I have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks time and I stipulate that all balance payments must be made within 28 days prior to event date.

I was supposed to meet the client at the venue for a quick check and discussion about moodlighting, I was there but the client didnt turn up - so when I called him he said he had the kids / lost the keys etc.

OK these things happen. He also said that he would pay the remaining balance that evening. But he didn't.

I have taken a £100 deposit but what do I do now? I have already sent him a paper invoice, google checkout invoice and called him to remind him of the impending payment.

I've never had this happen before and need some guidance on where to go from here.

Help!!!

I don't like the whole not turning up to the meeting and not even informing you beforehand.

Depending on how well worded your contract is, if you know its watertight and the full balance is due I wouldn't be that worried.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Hi Andy, this has happened to me and I emailed the client saying as the payment had not been made, within the stipulated time as mentioned in the contract, unless I received it within 48 hrs of the email I would consider the contract void and I would not turn up.
    Within 2 hours I received an email saying the balance would be paid by cheque and was in the post. It cleared within 5 days so everything went ahead as agreed. If it had not cleard I would not have turned up at the wedding.
    We have to make a stand somewhere otherwise some clients will try anything.

Just to say, I hope your contract isn't worded the same way as your opening post is....
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Collins View Post
    ....all balance payments must be made within 28 days prior to event date.
    ... because if it is, then they're not late. That statement just says that they must pay at some point during the 28 days prior to the date (ie it could even be the day before and still not be in breach).

Assuming the contract is correctly worded, do you also have provision in there for interest on late payment? What's the penalty rate?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Just to say, I hope your contract isn't worded the same way as your opening post is....... because if it is, then they're not late. That statement just says that they must pay at some point during the 28 days prior to the date (ie it could even be the day before and still not be in breach).

Assuming the contract is correctly worded, do you also have provision in there for interest on late payment? What's the penalty rate?
    yeah, sorry my bad gramour

It does state a pay by date on the contract. Which has passed now.

The penalty rate is if its cancelled within 30 days of event date then full payment is due
    Last edited by Andy Collins; 30-05-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: more info added

They may not have the money. I would call them and let them know nicely that you do not accept payment on the night and its overdue. Also let them know that its in the contract. Make it easy for them as well. I would visit them and have the meeting at theirs and get cash, just to make sure.

I actually had a client cancel a tbc booking as they did not want to pay one month in advance. If they are worried about me ripping them off then I do not want the business. I even offered to leave it until a week before, but have not heard back. I should have said well i am worried about you not paying me on the day as I do not trust you either.

Business is business and the most important thing is sorting the finance in the most efficient manner.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Hmmm interesting one this. I wouldn't pay a tradesman before he had done a job and they are generally in for more than a few hundred quid.

Deposit prior and payment once we have set up. That point when we have set up is the I am here and ready so we can now trust each other point for me. I didn't pay my own wedding entertainment until the day and that was a fair wedge.
    www.nkentertainment.co.uk
    The north wests premier wedding DJ and singer package. We will not be beaten on quality!
    www.michaelmooble.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NKR View Post
    Hmmm interesting one this. I wouldn't pay a tradesman before he had done a job and they are generally in for more than a few hundred quid.

Deposit prior and payment once we have set up. That point when we have set up is the I am here and ready so we can now trust each other point for me. I didn't pay my own wedding entertainment until the day and that was a fair wedge.
    Its a different environment doing some building and djing at a wedding I would say?
    I do understand what you mean though as there is still room for possibly not turning up (force majeur) or ballsing up the gig.
    In which case the client will have to go through considerable effort to reclaim the money.

I hate having to ask a client for money on their wedding day. What's worse is them having too carry it on them and to have me groveling at them as they have just finished their speeches before first dance as they may have forgotten.

I have only been challenged once over this and that was last week as "her family" suggested that it was not right.
    It was for a senior function. Never heard back from her

Its accepted practice for all 100 weddings I did last year and every corporate event I have ever done.
    Infact most clients instist on paying off the balance before the event to get it out the way. Maybe thats my market however
    Sometimes its the other way round however and some venues pay me after which makes me nervous

Last edited by yourdj; 01-06-2011 at 07:39 PM.

As Toby suggests, I've found that many people appreciate not having to remember / worry / carry around a wad of cash on the day.

Plus, don't forget that if people have paid by card, they have more protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    As Toby suggests, I've found that many people appreciate not having to remember / worry / carry around a wad of cash on the day.

Plus, don't forget that if people have paid by card, they have more protection.
    Or paypal for that matter

Not many people ever ask me for a receipt if they pay cash.
    Maybe its because I look so honest